How much alcohol is too much?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear friends,
I believe excessive alcohol consumption may have been partly to blame for my diagnosis as type 2; I basically lived on a diet of alcohol and carbs. After diagnosis, I lost a lot of weight on a teetotal, LCHF diet (220lbs to 167lbs). My first actual HbA1c put me as just pre-diabetic- 6.0.

The odd thing is that spirits seem to drop my bg considerably: I have been drinking gin and maotai (strong chinese liquor) and eating snacks tonight, and just did a blood test out of guilt for all the pistachio nuts and empty calories I've taken in- the result was only 4.3. I was expecting something in the 11+ range

Now, my point is this: I can't imagine alcohol is good for me, and I know it taxes the liver, but could some other moderate to heavy drinkers share some straight information regarding alcohol intake?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never been a heavy drinker but I do drink red wine with my evening meal every night. I have one glass during the week and maybe 3 Saturdays and Sundays. This does bring me over the recommended 14 units (for women) but as my liver doesn't seem to mind and all blood results come back normal including my ALT, and as I don't need to lose weight, I just sit, relax, and drink it without guilt. If a time came when my liver started to deteriorate I would reconsider. Having 6 monthly diabetic blood tests is a good way of keeping an eye on it.

What are your liver functions and ALT showing?

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, my liver function was fine last time I had it checked. Initially, my triglycerides were though the roof (in the 23.3+ range) and I believe that was alcohol related, but I brought that down to the normal range- now it's 1 point something. Basically I would like to be like you, Bluetit- a modest alcohol intake, possibly a touch above the NHS guidelines, without guilt.

Reactions: Ange G

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You cut right down on your drinking and saw the benefits, so best to keep it that way. No harm in a glass or even two in the evening unless you can't stick to one or two glasses, in which case best not to drink at all.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear friends,
I believe excessive alcohol consumption may have been partly to blame for my diagnosis as type 2; I basically lived on a diet of alcohol and carbs. After diagnosis, I lost a lot of weight on a teetotal, LCHF diet (220lbs to 167lbs). My first actual HbA1c put me as just pre-diabetic- 6.0.

The odd thing is that spirits seem to drop my bg considerably: I have been drinking gin and maotai (strong chinese liquor) and eating snacks tonight, and just did a blood test out of guilt for all the pistachio nuts and empty calories I've taken in- the result was only 4.3. I was expecting something in the 11+ range

Now, my point is this: I can't imagine alcohol is good for me, and I know it taxes the liver, but could some other moderate to heavy drinkers share some straight information regarding alcohol intake?

alcohol is carbs too ;) i Denmark a man drinking like 4 beers a day is considered an alcoholic no matter if he thinks that himself... it is considered health damaging to get alcohol in that amount...

well for a diabetic beer is worse than red wine and pure whisky and alike... but 4 whiskys is also unhealthy if it is on a daily basis, women can usually drink less than men before it damages their health.. so maybe to women it is more like 2 glases of wine or a little more 2.5 , but that all in all also depends on how unhealthy ones body is on forehand and how bad the rest of ones diet is I think, some people are so unhealthy in their body habits and food habits that alcohol on top of that is a pure disaster I would recon

the liver get used to cleaning the body from alcohol when drinking frekvently, which Means that one can to some extend excercise the liver to handle alcohol, but it is maybe a bad sign of habits if one can drink very much without feeling the damage... abuse wise

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@Geordie_P You might be interested in reading, "The Good News About Booze" by Tony Edwards. He has gone through reams of evidence and produced a more balanced approach to the 'all booze is evil' attitude we can get thrown at us. You may be familiar with "J-curve" graphs on health matters. Basically having none, or very little of something is not so good, as is having too much, but there is a sweet point, somewhere just off centre. You'll need to read the book.
Sally

Reactions: Bluetit1802