How much cream should I have in coffee?

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, my fasting level was 7.2 this morning and I had a cup of Nescafe with 50ml double cream. 2 hours later I have gone up to 10mmol. My hbA1c in 2015 was 143, a blood test in 2013 showed that I was diabetic but my GP at the time didn't tell me. I'm type 2 and I have never taken any medication for diabetes. I had pancreatitis at the age of 10 and in 2017 I was investigated for gall stones as I became jaundiced (shortly after starting Newcastle diet) and my liver enzymes were totally deranged. HbA1c at this point was 88. Everything resolved within a week without any treatment but they never found the cause. I had a scan and I don't have a fatty liver. I am seventeen stone though so there's plenty of weight to lose. At this point I cut carbs dramatically, tested before and after meals and cut out anything that gave me a rise of more than 2 mmol.
My last hbA1c in October 2018 was 61 and I'm due to have another test next month. GP suggested metformin and a weekly injection because I need to lose weight but I have refused. I have lost 2kg since I had my liver scan and I'm starting to despair.
Since starting to use mySugr app in January I have had two readings above 10 and one reading of 5.8, the rest have all been between 6.0 and 9.0. App estimates hbA1c will be 6.9%.
I feel well, rarely hungry and sticking to coffee and cream at breakfast, an OXO in hot water at lunchtime and dinner between 6 and 7pm.
Has anybody got any advice about what I should do next and us there anything that I should ask GP to test for in May?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, my fasting level was 7.2 this morning and I had a cup of Nescafe with 50ml double cream. 2 hours later I have gone up to 10mmol. My hbA1c in 2015 was 143, a blood test in 2013 showed that I was diabetic but my GP at the time didn't tell me. I'm type 2 and I have never taken any medication for diabetes. I had pancreatitis at the age of 10 and in 2017 I was investigated for gall stones as I became jaundiced (shortly after starting Newcastle diet) and my liver enzymes were totally deranged. HbA1c at this point was 88. Everything resolved within a week without any treatment but they never found the cause. I had a scan and I don't have a fatty liver. I am seventeen stone though so there's plenty of weight to lose. At this point I cut carbs dramatically, tested before and after meals and cut out anything that gave me a rise of more than 2 mmol.
My last hbA1c in October 2018 was 61 and I'm due to have another test next month. GP suggested metformin and a weekly injection because I need to lose weight but I have refused. I have lost 2kg since I had my liver scan and I'm starting to despair.
Since starting to use mySugr app in January I have had two readings above 10 and one reading of 5.8, the rest have all been between 6.0 and 9.0. App estimates hbA1c will be 6.9%.
I feel well, rarely hungry and sticking to coffee and cream at breakfast, an OXO in hot water at lunchtime and dinner between 6 and 7pm.
Has anybody got any advice about what I should do next and us there anything that I should ask GP to test for in May?

I hate to tell you this, but your question is a bit like the age old, "how long is a piece of string".

I'm in a different place to you, in terms of my metabolic journey, but I'd have quite a lot of cream in my coffee, if I enjoyed it. I just don't really enjoy cream in coffee.

There's a saying that we moderate our carbs to satisfy our blood sugar monitors, and our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales.

One other thing to consider is the coffee, if it is standard coffee may be having animpact on your numbers. Some people find that the caffeine in their coffee elevated the blood glucose. On that basis, if you are enjpy your creamy coffee, it might be useful to try decaf with the same 50ml cream and see the impact over a few days?

No point giving anything you just yet, that you might find a workaround for?

Reactions: Swiggy

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if 50ml is just too much cream in one go. I have either 5ml or 10ml since I read in Gary Taubes book 'Why we get fat' that some people's blood sugars go up if they have too much cream in one go. I think that I am definitely one of those people - strangely butter doesn't affect my BS at all. Another reason is that I have at least 6 cups of coffee a day and if I had that much cream with each cup my weight would rocket as well as my BS.

I don't find that the coffee itself spikes my BS - but the thing is we are all so different and there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to T2D.

Reactions: Swiggy

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering if 50ml is just too much cream in one go. I have either 5ml or 10ml since I read in Gary Taubes book 'Why we get fat' that some people's blood sugars go up if they have too much cream in one go. I think that I am definitely one of those people - strangely butter doesn't affect my BS at all. Another reason is that I have at least 6 cups of coffee a day and if I had that much cream with each cup my weight would rocket as well as my BS.

I don't find that the coffee itself spikes my BS - but the thing is we are all so different and there is no 'one size fits all' when it comes to T2D.
Thanks

Reactions: Krystyna23040

Swiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate to tell you this, but your question is a bit like the age old, "how long is a piece of string".

I'm in a different place to you, in terms of my metabolic journey, but I'd have quite a lot of cream in my coffee, if I enjoyed it. I just don't really enjoy cream in coffee.

There's a saying that we moderate our carbs to satisfy our blood sugar monitors, and our fats to satisfy the bathroom scales.

One other thing to consider is the coffee, if it is standard coffee may be having animpact on your numbers. Some people find that the caffeine in their coffee elevated the blood glucose. On that basis, if you are enjpy your creamy coffee, it might be useful to try decaf with the same 50ml cream and see the impact over a few days?

No point giving anything you just yet, that you might find a workaround for?
Thanks