How much exercise do you do?

SugarJunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've gone from zero to at least 10,000 steps six days a week in the last three weeks. It's been amazing. Bg at normal levels, meds reducing, lost 14lbs so far. No mid afternoon slump. I need to maintain as I feel so much better X

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I walk the dogs. They have short legs but a lot of enthusiasm.
Nowadays, if i strain my knees it can take 3 weeks before they recover, so i have started avoiding stairs, but am fine on hills. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason exercise is so important for a diabetic is it lowers insulin resistance by making your whole body more sensitive to insulin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason exercise is so important for a diabetic is it lowers insulin resistance by making your whole body more sensitive to insulin.
Not for everyone.
There was a study somewhere (will try and find it) that exercise only reduces insulin resistance for about 80% of us.

I am one of the 80%, thank fully.
I feel profoundly sorry for the other 20% !

Edited to add: here is the link to the study
http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/...me-type-2-diabetics-control-their-blood-sugar
But it is definitely worth noting that exercise has more benefits than just reducing IR.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
None. I do not want to turn my fat into muscle. I want to lose weight and low carb. Once the weight comes off, Ill tone up.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to get to the swimming pool for 3 x hour long aqua fit sessions and at least 2 x 30 minute swim sessions each week. When I am not able to do that I try to walk short distances. Not very ambulant on land, but shopping malls, with level ground and holding shopping trolley to keep me upright work for me. Also do circuit training round the garden, making use of garden furniture for seated exercise.
Don't expect exercise to help with weight loss, but as I am of a certain age, trying to slow rate of muscle wasting. It seems to be working ok, and no discernable detriment to BG levels.

Reactions: 4 people

Dana_Heath

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently i do a little morning leg routine which is all rushed in about 5 minutes before I have to catch my bus- on Mondays after college I go climbing for 2 hours, on Tuesday currently were doing hiking for about 9km a session in class (so a full days worth); and on Fridays we have a practical session in the gym to build our stamina which is none stop for an hour :)

Reactions: 4 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm T2. I've always done a moderate amount of exercise, but since diagnosis on 31/12/12 I have upped my exercise so I now do 8 gym classes per week. These include weights, aerobics, cardio combat, HIIT and ketlebells as well as 2 circuit training classes. However, I can only exercise in the evenings due to working full time. So I tend to do 1 or 2 classes each evening, and a couple of classes at the weekend. My husband and kids never see me any more!

Interestingly, my BG sometimes goes up following a class, and sometimes doesn't, but I can't work out a pattern. So I can eat the same meal, then go to the gym, do the same class and on one day my BG will be lower after the class and the next day it will be significantly higher. I did think at first it as the aerobic-type classes that were pushing it up, but then it shot up after some of the weights classes and went down after some of the aerobic ones. Yesterday I did cardio combat, my reading before I went to the class was 7.3 (I had eaten 2 hours before that), when I got back from the class it was 8.5. And yet the week before, with the same meal eaten (yes, I'm that boring!) it was 7.8 before the class and 6.2 after.

If I could identify a pattern and work out if particular classes were causing a rise in BG level, I could swap some of my classes or even - shudder - take up running (although I've yet to find a sports bra that will allow me to run with any degree of comfort!).