How much protein can we take daily ?

Chandradev819

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

As a T1 person, how much protein can we take daily ? I generally take one egg in morning and one in evening and 50 to 100 gms pulse per days and weekly 100 to 150 grms chicken.

Am i taking right dose protein or need to reduce my dose ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1 egg has around 6-7 grams of protein.. I dont know about chicken meat .

but most people not body building need around 0.8 grams of protein pro kg body weight..

Last edited:

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
0.6-0.8 grams/kg of body weight for sedentary lifestyle and up to 2g./kg for active people, both daily.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be LEAN body mass not your weight. I eat 45 g per day. Equivalent to about 5-6 ounces. Chicken is 8 g per ounce.

Protein effects people differently but it certainly raises my bs. I never eat more than 3 oz at a time. Bf is one, lunch is 1.5 and dinner 2.5. That's enough for me. Lchf is not high protein. Just that fat has the highest percentage of calories. And carbs the lowest.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I should have added anything more than 3 oz requires a split bolus for me. Even more so if it's high in saturated fats. Then maybe another small bump.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be LEAN body mass not your weight. I eat 45 g per day. Equivalent to about 5-6 ounces. Chicken is 8 g per ounce.

The amount actually goes up to 2-3 grams/kg of lean body mass for athletes (don't know the number for sedentary people). The reason the lean body mass calculation hit the market is because of athletes and obese people not under or over consuming protein. The rule of thumb of 0.6-0.8 grams per kg of body weight (all included) is sufficient for about 70% of the people. But it should indeed be mentioned that if you're either muscular or obese beyond average that the lean body mass calculation would be better.

@Chandradev819 if you want to calculate your lean body mass you should subtract your body fat % of your overall weight, you get a pretty decent idea of your lean body mass

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always under the impression that that unless we have kidney problems our protein consumption matters not. I have lived 69 years without kidney disease (so far at least) and eat a lot of protein. Always have. If I eat more than my body is used to, however, my blood sugars do rise the following day.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And then there's a whole new school of thought based on the work of Dr Donald Layman that says we should eat at least 30g of protein at each meal. According to him, eating less than 20g of protein per meal is "wasted calories" because it doesn't reach the threshold for physiologic benefit.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This video was posted on another thread and is worth watching: