How much protein do you eat

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was not calling you dumb at all Lots of evidence for excess protein. Google it

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Protein is only an issue for your kidneys if you have kidney disease.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe if I was obsessed with longevity like Rosedale, I might bother moderating protein because of the mtor argument. But I'm not, so I don't. Likewise, I'm not striving or tracking for major ketosis, so no need to moderate for that reason either.

I eat protein to satiety - and it varies daily - I only track it in a "guestimate" kind of way as I'm more concerned with tracking carbs. When I do eat it, I try to get between 20g to 30g per meal, but don't worry if I go over.

According to Dr Layman who is a researcher in protein, we should all (male, female, weight, height, etc don't matter) be eating 30g of protein, preferably 3x day - so 90g daily would be about right. Jimmy Moore did a podcast with him on his Ask The Low Carb Experts show called Protein 101. Worth listening to:

http://www.askthelowcarbexperts.com/2012/08/24-all-things-protein-protein-101-dr-donald-layman/

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of evidence for excess protein. Google it

Every claim I have seen for the harmful effects of excess protein has (so far) been thoroughly debunked.

That included the spurious 'bad for the kidneys' - only true if the kidneys already have reduced functioning.
and
'too much protein is bad for the bones' - now throughly debunked by, I believe 5 studies in quick succession.
and
'the China Study book tells us everything' - nope. That has had major reassessment by experts, and was written with a strong bias (easy to find what you are looking for if you follow your bias).

Since you are not providing any evidence for your statements, I won't either, but the problem of googling, rather than properly referencing, is that google is full of myths that get picked up and passed around like sweets. Just look at the Low Fat Debacle.

I AM interested in peer reviewed, carefully referenced information on too much protein being bad for us - just as I am interested in ANY carefully referenced info on nutrition. I am also interested in knowing what exactly is considered excessive since the word itself is so vague and emotive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Every claim I have seen for the harmful effects of excess protein has (so far) been thoroughly debunked.

That included the spurious 'bad for the kidneys' - only true if the kidneys already have reduced functioning.
and
'too much protein is bad for the bones' - now throughly debunked by, I believe 5 studies in quick succession.
and
'the China Study book tells us everything' - nope. That has had major reassessment by experts, and was written with a strong bias (easy to find what you are looking for if you follow your bias).

Since you are not providing any evidence for your statements, I won't either, but the problem of googling, rather than properly referencing, is that google is full of myths that get picked up and passed around like sweets. Just look at the Low Fat Debacle.

I AM interested in peer reviewed, carefully referenced information on too much protein being bad for us - just as I am interested in ANY carefully referenced info on nutrition. I am also interested in knowing what exactly is considered excessive since the word itself is so vague and emotive.

What I would have said (but not as well) had I not been too busy. Thanks @Brunneria for voicing my thoughts.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess we all do things for our own reasons. I did have kidney stones and I also am predisposed to skin cancer, had uteran cysts and a few other odd ball things so the mTOR pathway does matter to me. I was not trying to tell anyone how much to eat or not eat. I was simply curious as to how much others eat and more because I'm not sure I'm eating enough rather than eating too much.
I certainly didn't mean to cause arguments or start debates.

Pain911~

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Around 200 grams per day (basically 1g per pound of bodyweight).

It does seem to cause a morning spike (presumably from what I ate the night before), but other than that I have zero negative effects.

Is that much protein necessary? Absolutely not, but meat is delicious.
I am also around 200grams per day. I weight 140 and lift weights about 5 days a week. I didn't even know protein will change my BS until I found this website last week. I am a type 1 been diabetic for 40 days now. Any advise would be great. 24 years old.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am also around 200grams per day. I weight 140 and lift weights about 5 days a week. I didn't even know protein will change my BS until I found this website last week. I am a type 1 been diabetic for 40 days now. Any advise would be great. 24 years old.
Happy to share what has (or hasn't) worked for me, but it's probably best that you ask any specific questions you may have.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any breakfast during the week and feel fine until lunchtime. Will have a tin of tuna/sardines with salad/low carb flax bread for lunch. Will try to have evening meal around 18:00 latest so I can catch any protein spike. Evening meal varies - but usually green veg/cauliflower rice with fish/pork/chicken. I really don't see the need of weighing protein, I feel restricted enough at times without having to restrict protein intake on a daily basis. I know pre-Christmas I was overdoing the protein so have reduced it in the evening and added a few more greens. Levels have been great. I suppose lots of running helps too :)

Pain911~

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy to share what has (or hasn't) worked for me, but it's probably best that you ask any specific questions you may have.

Well some questions that come to mind are what is your personal range of BS that you try to maintain. I seem to be around 100-150. sometime I go up to 170 but never really beyond. But I seem to have a hard time maintaining 80-100. I just cant seem to stay there.

Do you try to have the same meals everyday? For me I try to make sure I have 4 eggs with a protein shake and a kale shake. lunch is always a salad (but the contents of the salad change) and dinner is always different since I eat with my family. Im trying to stay at 30-40 TOTAL carbs. I just learned about dietary fiber not affecting BS.

I take around 4-5 units humalg a day. using a kwikpen
at 9:00 PM I take 13 units of Levemir

Im active duty military and was just told that I will be medically separated, lucky for me I was able to obtain a government job but it still requires me to switch insurance and obtain all new doctors.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Does the steak weigh 120 g or is it 120 g pure protein? Big difference.

Over eating protein can certainly raise bs as well as excess protein is not good for us for other reasons, not just kidney.

I think you need to qualify that last bit. I (like many others) have eaten a lot of protein over the last couple of years (>200g per day) with no ill effects.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To @Pain911~
My goal is to be in the 70-100 range as much as possible, but there are infrequent (though not unusual) times when it can exceed (or drop below) that range. The low-carb diet helps significantly with keeping it in range.

Don’t get too discouraged if you’re around 100-150. That’s already considered extremely good. However, I can understand wanting to get them lower as I feel the same way. My a1c 3-months after diagnosis was 6.0 which equates to about a 130 mg/dl average blood sugar so I was very close to those numbers when I was first diagnosed. My last a1c (~8 months after diagnosis) was 5.4% which is about a 109 mg/dl average. My doctors were incredibly impressed with that, for reference.

I often eat the same meals every day with a little variation here and there. There are about 20-30 different foods that I know like the back of my hand and know how they’ll affect my blood sugar. I tend to stick with those foods for the most part.

You may talk to your doctors about splitting your Levemir injection into twice a day. Most (myself included) find that Levemir only lasts about 16 hrs. While it means an extra shot each day, the good part is my control is much better that way.

I think you need to qualify that last bit. I (like many others) have eaten a lot of protein over the last couple of years (>200g per day) with no ill effects.
Based on past posts, her basis for that statement is how protein affects the MTOR pathway. While the concept is interesting, it's far from proven, and very little research has been done on subject. Admittedly, I'm a bit skeptical as many of the sources who discuss the subject do so in a book or diet plan that they sell for profit. While we're each entitled to our own opinion, I'd categorize the theory about the MTOR pathway as being similar to the concept of eating a low fat diet because you have high cholesterol....it makes sense in theory, but in practice most find that to not be the case.

EDIT- I'll let Kristin answer for herself, but my comments are only based on past discussions we've had along similar lines.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I certainly don't believe I a low fat diet. I also don't believe in gobbing fat.
Yes, the mTOR pathway is something I do consider but it is not the major reason for my lower protein diets. I am obviously susceptible to many diseases/illnesses given my medical history. I don't need loads of protein to maintain my muscle either. I am not a brick house but I do maintain an athletic build. I don't work out, I just stay active all day
They First and most important reason I don't eat lots of protein mis the profound effect it has on my BS. Then there is the kidney stone issue. Don't want to go through that again.

Sorry if I missed led anyone and we all have our own thoughts, beliefs and diets. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything.

Pain911. I almost always eat the same BF. Lunch is same macros but mix up the protein and dinner salad with various different fats and protein. So yes I eat the same MACROS At each meal but I mix up the veggies fats and proteins.

Teacher 123. I weigh protein because I like my BS very steady and protein has a huge effect for me. It's no biggy for me to weigh it. I don't count carbs so I guess it's a trade.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if I missed led anyone and we all have our own thoughts, beliefs and diets. I wasn't trying to convince anyone of anything.
I don't think anyone was questioning your own approach or what does/doesn't work for you, but that's not what you said initially.

In the post Tim cited you said that "Excess protein is not good for us" as if it applied to more than just you. That's a much different statement.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
True. My belief. And my bad. Just. MMV. I do believe diabetics are susceptible to kidney issues , actually everything so I just try to error on the side of caution.

Obviously I need to choose my word se more carefully. Note taken

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to add pre T1 and pre post menopausal i ate tons more protein. Also pre correct T1 DX I was eating well over 100g. Not at all needed now. To be clear, this is just MY experience. It actually amazes me how little animal a/ fish protein I need to maintain my muscles. Maybe someday I will regret it but today it's working. Things evolve .....

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I don't actually know in terms of grams, but typically it would be 1 egg for brekkie, tin of salmon for lunch, piece of mackerel, lamb or beef about 200g steak raw uncooked weight for dinner, or a similar variant. What do you estimate that would be.. I'm 79 kg so should be eating 80g to 100g of protein each day.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Obviously I need to choose my word se more carefully. Note taken
I respect your opinion (and most others) and try to make sure I read your comments the way they are intended. Personally, I'd rather people do that with my posts than to draw incorrect conclusions about what I'm trying to say.

Sometimes a single word can change the entire point or tone of a post so you have to be careful (especially when posting on an iPad/iPhone like I often do).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't actually know in terms of grams, but typically it would be 1 egg for brekkie, tin of salmon for lunch, piece of mackerel, lamb or beef about 200g steak raw uncooked weight for dinner, or a similar variant. What do you estimate that would be.. I'm 79 kg so should be eating 80g to 100g of protein each day.
1 egg is about 6 or 7 g, my cans of salmon are 45 g (5 oz can) and 200 g raw streak is around 50g depending on how fatty it is it could be a little more or less. So about 100 g animal protein

I respect your opinion (and most others) and try to make sure I read your comments the way they are intended. Personally, I'd rather people do that with my posts than to draw incorrect conclusions about what I'm trying to say.

Sometimes a single word can change the entire point or tone of a post so you have to be careful (especially when posting on an iPad/iPhone like I often do).

Understood and agree. Sometimes not worth posting