How not to fart on low carb ???

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy it in the polis shops. Ask for in salt, not in vinegar as the salted versions contain the live good bacteria. (The bad ones die in the salt.) Or make at home with a salt solution 2% or max 3% unrefined sea salt. 2% = 20 gram per liter or approx. 2 tablespoons per liter. Just chop up any raw veggies like cabbage, kale, carrots or what you like into a glass jar with lid ( the one from the polish shop), push it down and pour the salt solution (brine) to cover it and more. As long as all is below the level of the brine no mold will form at the top. Takes about 7 days in room temp to complete. Lasts a year in the fridge or "food cellar" temp. Provides both probiotic bacteria and prebiotic food that will start reduce blood sugar two ways: More propionate and butyrate to repair insulin resistance, and less blood sugar rising carbs when more resistant is consumed! Add soaked oats daily with about 14% (very high!) resistant starch compared to cooked oats that have only 1.5%.
Diabetes and metabolic syndrome may soon become history! I am trying.

Started some on Tuesday... trying not to look to see how it is getting on... photo later if up to snuff.
:)

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m afraid if I buy the cabbage myself I eat it raw or braised. I love hearing about the science of it! What I buy is Salatka Obiadowa, or the red stuff is Kapusta Czerwona. It’s much tastier than sauerkraut and I give myself permission to eat as many ready to eat lower carb foods as I need; I compare it not to the best cabbage I could eat but to a sandwich. Colon cancer history in my family and I often find it a chore to eat meat, so I wouldn’t ‘beef up’ . Thanks so much for all the tips; will try them all. Also, Asda sell frozen soy beans, I had these in a pack of Japanese Awase soup.

Hi,

Me too! Cabbage, kale and all things crinkly and green don't last long in my fridge or cupboard. If I don't make the sauerkraut right away, well, it gets flung in a pan with butter, coconut oil or avocado oil and before you know it, I'm doing my goat impersonation.

Reactions: hankjam

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If we had a 'thread of the week/month' this one would surely be at or near the top of the list! Now there's an idea! @DCUKMod ?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If we had a 'thread of the week/month' this one would surely be at or near the top of the list! Now there's an idea! @DCUKMod ?

Many of the popular threads go out on the periodic newsletter emails, so we have something a bit like that. Of course, there's the flip side; one man's genius thread is another's less favoured.

Reactions: slip

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a couple of farty days recently too, but definitely not from consumpion of any of the general vegetable culprits (which I live quite happily with) - I believe it was from a little pot of quark and kefir mix - supposedly "naturally packed with billions of gut-friendly bacteria" which my gut apparently took seriously explosive exception to - more's the pity as I'd quite enjoyed it...:banghead:

Robbity
Hi,

Most of us find that when we make the switch to more green, leafy veg', more fibre and probiotic food in general, that we do have some transitional problems with quite audible flatulence!

The advice I've read - and taken on board - is to make the switch gradually and to look for the options that suit your pocket and palate.

I love Greek yoghurt, but the one that used to be my favourite (Lidl) is not live, so has less sugar than ordinary yoghurt, but none of the benefits of the live varieties. Alas, these are quite a bit more expensive - some ridiculously so IMHO - so I decided to make my own. Bit hit and miss to be honest, and rather involved...heat the water to 82 degrees, let it cool to 42 degrees, keep it at that temperature for 8-12 hours, strain for 2-3 hours in fridge once cooled.

Anyway, kefir is a complete doddle in comparison. Simply purchase some 'grains' online - just check the reviews before deciding - and then, when they arrive, pop them in a clean jar with the lid on, but not tight, and wait a couple of days.

I use a large, plastic sieve to strain the kefir from the grains with a silicone spatula. I generally leave it for 30 mins to strain the whey - that's the yellow protein-packed liquid - from the kurd, aka Greek style kefir. I don't use the whey, but I do pop the thick, creamy kefir in a container in the fridge and it usually lasts until the next batch is ready. As soon as I've fridged the kefir, I return the grains to the jar - no need to wash, boil or sterilise, as the kefir grains do all the heavy lifting - and replenish the milk supply. Two days later, more kefir.

Again, just Google it!

Save money, and stay healthy!

Enjoy!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Most of us find that when we make the switch to more green, leafy veg', more fibre and probiotic food in general, that we do have some transitional problems with quite audible flatulence!

The advice I've read - and taken on board - is to make the switch gradually and to look for the options that suit your pocket and palate.

I have actually been eating green vegetables most of my life and possibly in larger quantities for nearly 4 and a half years now since I've been eating LCHF, and live Fage Greek yoghurt for donkey's years, and have NEVER had any flatulence issues with either. (And since I was a child - thanks to an army father posted to Germany - have frequently dined on saurkraut though not so often since I've been married...) Which is why it came as a bit of a surprise that the quark/kefir mix did actually cause a problem.

And I used to make my own live (and fartless!) yoghurt about 40 years ago... so I think I may have made the transition by now !! :D:D:D

Robbity

PS I believe @Brunneria is another keen kefir connoisseur!

Reactions: Brunneria

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...and a fartless connoisseur, at that! ;)

(well, perhaps I should say that kefir doesn't make me fart...)

Reactions: hankjam

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...and a fartless connoisseur, at that! ;)

(well, perhaps I should say that kefir doesn't make me fart...)
it seems just the kefir/quark combination that was rather explosive, I'also recently had a little bottle of Polish kefir from Morrisons, cheap and cheerful and not a single squeak out of it. :D

Robbity

ohneclue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My new favourite foods are Brussels sprouts, kale, raw cabbage, and the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars.

Cans of kidney beans with a bit of balsamic vinegar, chick peas are also a quick fix.

These are very fartogenic foods. Is there any way to fart less? I cleared a room of teenagers last week with it

The problem is really in the starches in these high carby foods like chickpeas, all beans of any kinds and some of the lentils. Not only do they kick your blood sugars higher in 15 minutes and even more in 30 minutes while you still may be eating our lunch, the high blood sugars also slow down weight loss. What I found when I started taking probiotics tablets and included the Lactobacillus Reuteri that research says diabetics specifically lack, the smell of partially digested foodstuff provided both gas and odor. Now that my digestive system is healthier, I have no more gas or even smell.

APainter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many years ago, suffering with painful flatulence and bloating, my consultant said I was having too much fibre. He also suggested that, instead of introducing it slowly into my then current diet, I had "gone overboard with enthusiasm" for something I had found enjoyable, and that my gut wasn't able to cope with this large additional input of fibre, however good for me the cereals and vegetables would be individually. He suggested stopping high-fibre food for a couple of weeks to clear my gut; then start adding small quantities of greens, pulses and whole grains to my diet, giving my gut time to adjust to its new regime, increasing the amount of fibrous foods as my tolerance increased. He also suggested increasing the amount of water I drank before and after my meals, to ensure that the fibre had time to swell gently in the gut.
On the subject of pulses, the problem is the methane given off when they are cooked. You can't do much about this with processed pulses; but if you start using dried pulses, soak them overnight, then fast-boil them the next day for at least half an hour. Then - the really important part - use a colander to drain off ALL the water. Rinse the pulses in fresh water. Put the pulses back in their pan with more fresh water and start cooking them by simmering until done - between half an hour and an hour, depending on how old (and therefore how hard) the pulses are. Good luck.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
LCHF makes me fart less (hooray!). When I started eating more sauerkraut and kimchi I expected major gas events, but nothing happened.

Reactions: Charis1213

emiliano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I never eat legumes now due to their effect on BG, but I used to and my wife not being diabetic still does; she adds the kombu alga to the legumes while they're cooking and this does the trick. no gas at all.

now that I think of it it's not true I don't eat legumes. In this time of the year it is customary in the part of Italy where I live to eat raw fava beans with cheese and salami, I like it very much and have a lot of it without any noticeable effect on BG due to the very low CHO content they have compared to, say, beans.

gardener612

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My new favourite foods are Brussels sprouts, kale, raw cabbage, and the delicious Polish cabbage salad in jars.

Cans of kidney beans with a bit of balsamic vinegar, chick peas are also a quick fix.

These are very fartogenic foods. Is there any way to fart less? I cleared a room of teenagers last week with it
According to Ayurveda, wind is a result of too much Vatta. Vatta is very dry. Soooo, I would recommend cooking your foods (no raw) and adding lots of oil to line the digestive tract. This should make a big dif.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right. I have genuinely found that since changing to a low carb diet that flatulence has almost come to a standstill. So much so that I have a fairly reliable built in whizzpopperometer. Before going low carb, flatulence was a big problem for me.

The days during which I eat food that is a bit more carby then my (whizzpoppero) meter reliably keeps me informed.

Eat to your meter takes on a slightly different slant for me.

No jesting here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Low carb or not, where ever you be let your wind go free, then blame it on the dog.