1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anonymous Question How often should people test?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Anonymous Question, Apr 14, 2014.

1. jackedison

jackedison Other · Member

You dont need to worry as testing blood glucose levels depends on the type of diabetes on has, for type 1 diabetes testing can be done 3 or more times and for type 2 diabetes testing may be more then once...the testing depends may be done before meals, after meals and also after fasting for 8 hours.

2. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I am unclear what your statement is actually saying. Can you make it a little clearer please?

• Like Like x 2
  3. jackedison

jackedison Other · Member

I am unclear what your statement is actually saying. Can you make it a little clearer please? I just meant that a persons testing for glucose levels depends on the type of diabetes he has and insulin levels and does not need to worry.

4. andcol

Retired Moderator

So are you advocating that a T2 not on insulin shouldn't test? That goes at odds with my experience; if I don't test I don't know what I should eat and what I shouldn't which would likely (but not absolutely) cause my BG Levels to be higher.

If that isn't what you are saying then my apologies.

For me it is important to test to work out what is safe and what I should avoid. Additionally it gives me motivation to continue when I see the trends falling and when they rise I know I need to redouble my efforts.​

5. paulins

paulins Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Are you at target weight yet Andrew?

6. paulins

And can someone please tell me how to get the line at the bottom of messages so I can put my readings and chart my progress?

Andrew - I started at the same weight as you in January 2014, and 4 lbs to go before under 14 st! I watch your progress! And I need to learn how to do these fab graphs! Though my fingers are bruised with all the testing.

7. andcol

Retired Moderator

I am at 13st 10 lbs now so one pound off of 4 stone down. Still need to lose another 24 lbs to reach the 12 stone I would like to be at.

I have however slowed the weight loss down on purpose but it is so slow

That is the signature which you will find under your profile

Excellent and how are your blood glucose readings now?

I can produce a video for you on creating a simple spreadsheet which will show you how to produce simple graphs.
    The spreadsheet I use is now very complex which is why I have started to write an application to do it for me - have you seen my thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/writing-bg-management-app.56644/.

8. paulins

Thank you - will make chart and see how things are progressing.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook