How often?

john1

Its often said that frequent urination is the first sign of diabetes so could I ask how many times people were going in a normal day before they were diagnosed?
Was it more frequently of a night or was it just all day and night?

Thank you for your responses.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi John,

I was going every hour day and night, I could have drank from a hosepipe all day! :(

Nigel

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
I was very like Nigel. Now I just go all night and not during the day lol

Ailz

C

catherinecherub

Hi john,

I'll turn the question on it's head. :)

It is normal to pee up to about 8 times a day and maybe once during the night.
If you drink abnormally large amounts then you can expect to pee more. Any drink that is caffeinated, i.e. tea, coffee, cola will increase your urine output as will some foods with a large fluid content to them, i.e. cucumber, marrow.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've never had the 'normal' diabetic symptoms and still don't.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
In the last 3 months, about once every hour; tons of water-- the ancient Greek for diabetes is "syphon" -- exactly, and the medical description was the liquification of flesh through urine (wasting); pharmacists were very kind and provided ketone strips and Gluco count: strips always blue and bg 27.0 - 30 and beyond. Called dr. Great diabetic team.

john1

I've been struggling with frequent urination for about 10 months and without anti diuretics I can go over 30 times a day,I havent been diagnosed but had all bladder and prostate issues discounted so have always suspected diabetes the most likely cause because of all the other symptoms that seem to fall in with this,thirst,hunger,tiredness,permanent rashes and yeast infection as well as a parent who has it. I havent drank alcohol for many months and cut out tea,coffee and fizzy drinks too.

Does it calm down after you have been diagnosed?

Thanks for your replies they are very interesting to me.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi John1,

Insulin orals put a stop to all these classic symptoms, though the treatment was somewhat slow, and I was put on the treadmill for a couple of weeks until all drugs met the max. Diet and exercise can only do so much, in *my* case of very high bg anyway (II). I too had extreme fatigue. Also-- pruritus and semi-conscious naps for about two yrs. and polyuria/polydypsia for many years.

john1

Thanks Erin.
It too seems I cannot seem to go through a day without having to have a nap or sleep no matter how strenuous or unstrenuous my day has been.

I'm desperate to get a diagnosis,diabetes or any other so I can get back to eating healthier and exercising like I used to but being hungry for high carb foods and too tired to exercise much really is a right pain in the backside and counter productive to good health.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't remember peeing a lot during the day but do remember rushing to the loo in the night to avoid an accident. I certainly had unquenchable thirst all day so I guess all that liquid went somewhere LOL

The thirst, excessive peeing, yeast infections and tiredness should settle down once blood sugar is under control. They're symptoms of uncontrolled diabetes, not of having diabetes. If you're losing a lot of weight that'll probably produce more fluid too.