Type 2 How quickly do you recover to good BGs after a lapse?

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you have a two or three day lapse and your BG levels go up a bit, how long do you feel it takes for them to come back down again after you've returned to your regular (lower carb) eating? I've had a very controlled day today after a lapse and hoped my reading would be back down to good levels by my 2 hour reading tonight. Well that was a disappointment! So the answer for me doesn't seem to be "1 day".
My 3 hour was much better so maybe I'll be back on target tomorrow?

On the other hand I've already noticed that once my BG level is back to the level I want consistently, one heavier carb meal doesn't seem to upset it very much. So it seems there's some lag effect.

Is this a well known thing?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree with @Kristin251

If I have an event (could be a hypo, could be a carby meal) my bg is jangly and over reactive for 2-3 days, and I feel 'off' for the same period.

A few things seem to help:
- being gentle with myself
- going to bed early
- being uber low carb
- eating lots of fat (always find this has a stabilising effect, and the easiest way to do it is to drink low carb hot choc, coffee with cream, snack on cheese or nuts, and add mayo to veg)

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes when I am 'off' I need to stay low carb and high fat. Protein is a wild card at this time. I too like to go to bed early to end the day. I have found that those treat meals have a high price to pay so don't much do it anymore.
Seems hypos ( and not even true hypos ) are just as bad. Fluctuating bs is never good for me. I generally don't enjoy the food as much when I know what's coming after. Not worth it.
I find the same feelings as a 1 and a 2.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
What an interesting topic!

I'm lucky. If I skip one meal then I'm usually back nearly to normal before the next meal and normal after it. But a while ago I was on a 14-day course of oral steroids, and all I could really stomach to eat was a little yoghurt, and since I was too ill to make double cream yoghurt I ate Yeo Valley. Whether it was the steroid or the yoghurt, it raised my BG to about 9 consistently. It took several weeks to get back and my HbA1c two months later was 41 instead of my usual 37.

Kate

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would agree with @Kristin251
- eating lots of fat (always find this has a stabilising effect, and the easiest way to do it is to drink low carb hot choc, coffee with cream, snack on cheese or nuts, and add mayo to veg)

My new favourite high fat dessert is whipped double cream and blueberries. I had some of that on my recovery day.