How quickly does blood sugar come down?

redrickshaw

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ive seen a little chart on here saying that the post prandial blood sugar 90 mins after a meal for non diabetics should be between under 7.8 mmols. What happens to it after that?
Im asking because Ive just been told Im prediabetic and in the last month have been testing my blood sugar. I had already changed my diet to LCHF to loose weight. My blood sugar has been up to 7.2 a couple of times after a meal. In the morning its generally in the low 5s - occasionally between 5.5 and 6.2 - but sometimes that could be after a walk. I generally dont eat till after 12.
Just found the majority of non diabetics fasting BS between 4 and 5.4 m/mols - does it always return to that in four hours between meals?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it does not always return. Remember food is not the only thing that affects blood sugar. Don't forget sleep, exercise, stress, medication, illness and too many more to list.

How blood sugar reduces between meals depends on the above as well as the composition of food eaten in terms of fat, protein and carbs. Keep testing and you will get to know your response.

Do you test before a meal as well as after? Looking at the before and after food rise is a good way of telling how you are doing especially as we don't always see very high post meal numbers with prediabetes but it is still in the background.

Reactions: redrickshaw