How Tight Does Our Control Really Need To Be??

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello All! While on holidays here in the chilly state of Florida, I have given myself a bit of leeway in eating - actually have let a few carbs that are really yummy pass through my lips as I steal a bite from the Hubby's desserts!! - and it has given rise to wondering just how tight our control of BS needs to be - blood sugar that is!....

When diagnosed in 2001, the Canadian Diabetes Association "control" was no higher than 10mmol/? That was good for me and attainable, although the food choices weren't the greatest I have to admit. Then "they" mandated under 8; then "they"" mandated under 7. Now my Nurse Practitioner told me that "they" are saying under 6 should the gold standard.....Who decides these numbers??!!

Oh, and "they" want to lower the BP for diabetics to lower than 120/80 - that will mean more statins and other horrible drugs pushed on diabetics. The standard of 120/80 came about as a result of research done many, many years ago on healthy male university students, if I recall my medical history classes correctly!! But that is another issue......

I have read some research that suggests that those who so tightly control their blood sugars have a higher morbidity rate in ICU that those who have a little more leeway in their numbers.....interesting thought to consider I would say. I don't recall exactly where I read this so I am unable to provide an "article".

I read on the Forum of individuals who are trying to so tightly control their sugars between say 4-6 that they are upset with readings that might "spike" to closer to 7!! I know it is a personal choice, but do we really need to be sooooo strict with ourselves? (Maybe it is the bit of sugar from the Hubby's sweets talking back and rebelling because I cannot indulge, not sure!)

I have been swaying back and forth as to doing a 28 day keto diet via a coach or Dr. Mossley's Sugar detox, but I am concerned about my sugars going too high on the Sugar diet as there are more carbs eaten, I think, from what I have read about it....I know I don't tolerate carbs really well and feel better on up to 50 gm/day....maybe I am answering my own dilemma by seeing it here in black and white.....!

After years of abusing my body by not taking diabetes seriously, I want and know that I have to have far better control...My last A1C was 7.4 (Canada still using these number) and my Nurse was balistic!! I am like really??!! I refused any more meds as I have been weaning off Metformin from 2000mg/day to 500mg/day.....and told her I was eating LCMF and give me a couple more months and see where I'm at. Obviously I am not stringently following while down here but usually not more than 60gm of carbs which allows a little leeway....but blood sugars 6s ac- 8s pc, except for last night - 10!! The bit of cherry pie was to die for (no pun intended!!)

I am gabbing on and on here, so sorry and thanks for your patience. I will leave you with the question that started all this - How tightly do we really need to control our numbers? Does it need to be a stranglehold??!! Blessings All/L

Reactions: Salvia

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i want my bg to be 5-6 over christmas and due to a bug its been 4.2-7.1 my bp has gone up and my liver functions off. so loads of extra tests done.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Good question. Having discovered how 'they' came up with the guidelines for cholesterol and how rubbish the BMI scale and qrisk are I have wondered about all their guidelines. Surely though, they have to have done studies on bg which show best evidence, surely?