How to celebrate type 1's birthday.........???

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a piece of cake on my birthday, or something that resembles cake at least! My partner last year made a palleo chilli, (no carbs) with avocado bacon wrapped 'chips' and then sugar free scones with candles in. It was great to have a lovely meal and not have to worry about injecting and it was still lit up with birthday candles so felt like a proper celebration! I think it's lovely that you are so concerned about making sure he has a day where he doesn't have to worry about carbs and that is honestly a day off, which is exactly what a birthday should be! Don't let that stop you buying or making a little cake though, I'm 25 and every year on my birthday my blood sugars run lower because I'm excited so it's nice to have some of my favourite sweet treats on hand instead of the usual lucozade and biscuits for hypo treatment!
The website I use for low carb foods is paleo newbie
It has so many delicious recipies that are great for binging on without having to worry about insulin!
Hope this helps Xx

laurakirkup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a piece of cake on my birthday, or something that resembles cake at least! My partner last year made a palleo chilli, (no carbs) with avocado bacon wrapped 'chips' and then sugar free scones with candles in. It was great to have a lovely meal and not have to worry about injecting and it was still lit up with birthday candles so felt like a proper celebration! I think it's lovely that you are so concerned about making sure he has a day where he doesn't have to worry about carbs and that is honestly a day off, which is exactly what a birthday should be! Don't let that stop you buying or making a little cake though, I'm 25 and every year on my birthday my blood sugars run lower because I'm excited so it's nice to have some of my favourite sweet treats on hand instead of the usual lucozade and biscuits for hypo treatment!
It has so many delicious recipies that are great for binging on without having to worry about insulin!
Hope this helps Xx
And loads of Diet Coke or ice cream floats with sugar free ice cream!

Reactions: abcd99

abcd99

I would just ask him what he wants to eat at the celebration. If he is careful about his carbs, why would he want a tableful of cakes and soft drinks etc, as hard as it is that is YOUR idea of what constitutes a good birthday. You sound like such a good Mum so if you know what he normally eats, just fill the table with salmon/nuts/cheeses/cold meats or hot chicken, low carb coleslaw, etc. Then add the balloons and whatever else (maybe some red wine!), and off you go. I am sure he will really appreciate that you have taken notice of how HE likes to eat. You mention he won't eat even a little bit of cake but why would he?, what would be the point of eating something that his body doesn't agree with, eating it because it is his birthday makes NO sense, that sounds like something other people feel that diabetics are somehow missing out on, believe us when we say we are not.
Thank you for your reply KK123, I agree with you. yes I would have asked him what he wants to eat , if he would speak to me........It is not now when he became diabetic that he became so reserved, but after he passed his high school, he changed........like many boys...I did not mind.........because I knew that even if he is not having any party at home, he is surely enjoying with his friends........but now he cannot........it makes me sad to think that now he cannot live normal life like before..........and this thought just does not leave me........I don't know what to do........His birthday was just like any other day.........not even exchange of hugs and kisses..........makes me very sad. He did not even smile.....:bigtears:

abcd99

Hope this helps Xx
I am so happy for you. I wish my son could be like you and allow us to do something for him. Can you please give me the website you are using. Thanks a lot.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’d go for substitutes.
Low carb pizza, low carb trifle or cakes? There’s some great recipes online.

Reactions: abcd99

Judy99

Type of diabetes
Carer
I had a "big" birthday a couple of months after my husband was diagnosed. My sister made a chocolate fudge cake adapted from an ordinary one, using almond flour instead of ordinary flour and xylitol instead of sugar. You wouldn't have known the difference. Just make sure the chocolate is a very high percentage.

I've also bought a book by Sarah Flower called The Sugar Free Family Cookbook and there are some excellent recipes. Some of them are on her website here https://www.sarahflower.co.uk/blog/category/Recipes. I made him some sugar free Ferrero Rocher for Valentine's Day and they were lovely.