how to cope with hypos low carb ??

ben1972x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have done low carb for years but went on insulin as type 2 diabetes out of controle. I habe had 2 hypos in 2 days. How do u cope with hypos without carbs ???
The insulin it very hit and miss sometimes it lowers my sugars sometimes it doesn't.
I have had sugar for my hypos in 2 days so out kf ketosis.
How do u do it. I know to lower my insulin but the insuline doesmt always drop my sugars.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You treat the hypo's as you would before, there's no alternative.

Solestar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, apathy and Cretinopathy (a term coined by lowcarbdibetic.co.uk) which is a common diabetes related condition where people who should know better (Healthcare professionals and Diabetes charities) advise diabetics to consume high carbohydrate/sugar food.
I think the main goal here is to concentrate on managing your glucose levels and not to worry about ketosis at the moment. What insulin are you on? When do you take it? And yes, treat the hypo with a fast acting carbohydrate, ideally glucose tablets as they're measurable and are already in the form of sugar that your body can process quickly and efficiently. But be careful not to overtreat and have a rebound high.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recomend 100ml lucozade and a 10gram carbohydrate (biscuit, banana or slice of whole grain bread) for a hypo.
Some foods are low GI. they release carbs slowly and your insulin acts faster than the release. High GI foods work the opp way.
I also do not take insulin to cover protein
If you eating low carb, then you should not have to take too much insulin.
I do not take insulin to cover any carbs (ie veg) that grows above the ground. I only take insulin to cover root veg ie potatoe, rice, pasta, breads and sauces.
If i had chicken, brocolli, peas and a bit of salad for dinner.... I would not take any insulin.
if I had chicken, rice, brocoli, salad for dinner, Id only take insulin for the potatoe.

Have you done the DAFNE course?