How to get a Libre

Wooly123

Hi, I was a self funded for a long time and I live in central London paying sky high rent prices at the time. I found it a little stressful so I had to stop and once I did stop I developed anxiety and stress about not managing my diabetes properly and the fear of hypos set in. I then has a few sessions with the local diabetes therapy team at my clinic and they really helped and put a case forward for me to get funded. If you push for it and push to be heard eventually you will get there x

Thanks. The latest update is that I am now getting them on prescription. I finally got to see a diabetes consultant up here after being told I wasn’t urgent enough to be assigned to a consultant as I’m new to Scotland! They only agreed to see me because I got pregnant but sadly miscarried a few weeks ago. The consultant said that all diabetics are being offered the Libre so assume that may just be in my area of Ayrshire, Scotland. Just seems so unfair that it’s a post code lottery. I come from south London and I remember being told that my diabetes was too well controlled to get Libre on prescription! What a shame that you had to go through so much to get yours. I am glad you finally managed to get one. Good luck with it

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. The latest update is that I am now getting them on prescription. I finally got to see a diabetes consultant up here after being told I wasn’t urgent enough to be assigned to a consultant as I’m new to Scotland! They only agreed to see me because I got pregnant but sadly miscarried a few weeks ago. The consultant said that all diabetics are being offered the Libre so assume that may just be in my area of Ayrshire, Scotland. Just seems so unfair that it’s a post code lottery. I come from south London and I remember being told that my diabetes was too well controlled to get Libre on prescription! What a shame that you had to go through so much to get yours. I am glad you finally managed to get one. Good luck with it
And here we are, several years down the line from your post. Just been sent a letter to say I’m ‘on a list’ to be ‘offered’ a freestyle Libre 2 sensor……..’someone will be in touch’. I’m not holding my breath. Meantime due to being missed off NHS lists during Covid, I’ve had a stroke and probably have glaucoma. My guess is they’ll wait until I’m blind.