How to get a pump?

bluenoes

I have been type 1 for almost 30 years now.
Things have changed a lot over the years. Fron originally using hypodermic needles and mixing insuln I am now using pre mixed injections twice a day.
My control is not as good as it should be.
Yesterday I went to my clinic for the first time since moving to a new area. We discussed moving to carb counting which I think will be the way I will go when I return to clinic in a few weeks.
I've taken some time to do some well overdue research and it looks more and more like pumps are getting more popular.
My main question is how do you go about switching to a pump...do you have to pay yourself or are they available on the nhs

Many thanks
Andy

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Pumps are available on the NHS, you can self fund (though it's expensive).

First thing to do is to discuss it with your diabetes consultant / team. There are several NICE criteria that you should meet in order to be suitable / recommended for a pump.

Input (www.input.me.uk) are a great resource for finding out how to get started on the way to a pump and they offer plenty of support. All the NICE pumping criteria is on their website.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
You're doing the right thing going to carb counting. They will get you to carb count a bit before they put you on the pump. But it's getting more and more acceptable to put people onto a pump. That being said, I've been fighting for years to get onto it. I've got a new diabetic nurse now, and it's looking more likely. So if you have problems, try and get a second opinion.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App