How to messure insulin with meals

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I had a bag of crisps and a drink earlier on today and the crisps was 68grams and the drink was 500ml and I had 5 units of insulin i didn't test but I guess it was the right amount i just want help it's so hard so if I eat a meal that has 29 carbs i will then just take 2 units of insulin but I get worried i may take to much insulin & end up having a hypo I'm going to have pizza potato wedges and bbq wings for dinner because friends are round i have found following the carbs and cals book helpful once I understand it, it's just sometimes I forget how it goes

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why do you think you took the right amount of insulin when you didn't test? The only way to find out how much you need is to test. We all need different amounts of insulin to cover carbs, and a lot of us need different amouts of insulin depending on the time of day, so we cannot advise you on how much insulin to take. When I'm afraid I might go hypo I just test more, so I catch the hypo before it's there. With a freestyle libre or a cgm it's much more easy to monitor your levels and to learn what to do for what food, but with finger pricks it's doable as well. Good luck and enjoy your meal!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, and the amount of carbs of your chips/drink/potato-wedges and wings is on the back of the package. 500ml of 'drink' doesn't tell you anything about the amount of carbs ;)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,

When I was first diagnosed my nurse told me that for every 10g of carbs you should give 1 unit of insulin and then test to see how your BG is. If it's not in in range you should increase it by 1 unit for every 10g until you find the right carb to insulin ratio for you. Obviously if the 10g to 1 unit ratio is too much then reduce the insulin for example 1 unit for every 20g of carbs.

It can take a while to get the ratio right and sometimes your body just decides that for that day your ratio will be higher/lower. But in general once you've found your ratio then managing your BG's should become loads easier :)

NathalieColette