How to stop red lumps after injecting?

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm on a roll today with questions. I noticed today that I have quite a few big red lumps on my legs from injecting my Levemir (twice a day, 16u and 12u).

I'm using 4 mm needles and pinch before injecting and plunge it straight down rather than at an angle (which I used to do when I was first diagnosed and used 8mm ones!). I used to use 5mm ones until a few weeks ago but my DSN changed it as my legs are quite lean/muscular. I rotate my sites every time, never use the same let twice in one day and use my bum as well (no lumps there, I just get them on my legs)

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm on a roll today with questions. I noticed today that I have quite a few big red lumps on my legs from injecting my Levemir (twice a day, 16u and 12u).

I'm using 4 mm needles and pinch before injecting and plunge it straight down rather than at an angle (which I used to do when I was first diagnosed and used 8mm ones!). I used to use 5mm ones until a few weeks ago but my DSN changed it as my legs are quite lean/muscular.

What am I doing wrong?
I have the same problem! Same insulin, same needle slightly higher doses!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
sorry if I am saying something that you both already know , but site rotation is critical to avoiding issues generally in the injectable areas , and could be possibly why you are getting the red lumps.

I have attached a photo of injection sites , and using the thighs as a template , imagine moving an inch up or down the leg until the available space is injected in 1 time then moving horizontally 1 inch and repeating the process -- you should get 24 - 28 injections per leg -- then move to the other leg and repeat.

based on 2 injections of tresiba per day that should mean you are only injecting in the approximate
same space about once every 4 weeks.

using bum can help create a longer time between each site being used too.

diabetes6[1].jpg

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi there
sorry if I am saying something that you both already know , but site rotation is critical to avoiding issues generally in the injectable areas , and could be possibly why you are getting the red lumps.

I have attached a photo of injection sites , and using the thighs as a template , imagine moving an inch up or down the leg until the available space is injected in 1 time then moving horizontally 1 inch and repeating the process -- you should get 24 - 28 injections per leg -- then move to the other leg and repeat.

based on 2 injections of tresiba per day that should mean you are only injecting in the approximate
same space about once every 4 weeks.

using bum can help create a longer time between each site being used too.

View attachment 24749
Sorry should have mentioned that in the original post. I rotate every time so that's not it.
I use my bum as well for long acting.

Reactions: himtoo

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I Pinch Too its the way I was Shown.Been Injecting for 15yrs once infrequently twice a day no lumps over that period only use thighs. I am on Lantus occasionally it stings but not all the time and yes I Rotate sites maybe you should ask doc if you can try another medicine it might be an allergic reaction

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I Pinch Too its the way I was Shown.Been Injecting for 15yrs once infrequently twice a day no lumps over that period only use thighs. I am on Lantus occasionally it stings but not all the time and yes I Rotate sites maybe you should ask doc if you can try another medicine it might be an allergic reaction
Thanks, will definitely bring it up at my next appointment!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Again-- could be wrong here -- but a long time ago when needles were a bit longer the advice was to "pinch" and inject at 45 degrees to get into the sub-cutaneous fat layer.

these days with 4mm needles there is no need as 4mm will hit that sub-cu layer

Soapybubs87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again-- could be wrong here -- but a long time ago when needles were a bit longer the advice was to "pinch" and inject at 45 degrees to get into the sub-cutaneous fat layer.

these days with 4mm needles there is no need as 4mm will hit that sub-cu layer
Thats when i was told to stop pinching when i went on to 4mm

Reactions: himtoo