How to survive as an athlete.

98tillpresent

I posted this in the FOOD section aswell, probably a mistache as they mostly discuss recipes...

You are an Athlete, serious about the sport. You find yourself getting up as early as 5:00 am for training at 6:30 am, you train upto 6 days per week, 2 times per day for upto 2 hours per session with possibility of losing contact with your coach. The training is always high intensity work ranging from strength work to cardio-vaclular. On top of that you go to school from 9 to 3 and cycle 4.5 miles there everyday bar never...

You have type 1 diabetes for as long as you remember.

OK, so that's the scenario.
- How do I control my levels when my timetable is so unpredictable and uneven?
- What food do you suggest I eat before, during and after?
- I may be going onto a pump soon, would you recomend that? if yes, which one? (I have my eyes on an Animas pump)

Thanks xXx

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't help directly, as my sport is at a more modest level, but have you tried www.runsweet.com which has lots of information and a forum, for serious athletes with type 1 diabetes, some with pumps?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not an athlete, I'm a middle aged granny who plods around a marathon every now and then plus some shorter races.
My pump is invaluable, being able to reduce or even at times completely suspend basal insulin gives me far more flexibility about training. The runsweet website is excellent and the homepage suggests that you can get yourself referred to Ian Gallen
Do you have problems with your diabetes and sport? If so ask your G.P. or consultant to refer you to our (England's only) specialized diabetes and sport clinic