how to sweeten and flavour double cream

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love melting a chunk in microwave then drizzling it over cream with flaked almonds and letting it cool on fridge. I love crunching into the hardened ripples and imagine it's an ice cream Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

jolid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Some options I like are:
Break up some good quality chocolate in a pyrex dish. Boil some water in a pan, making sure the water is below the level of the dish when put above. Melt the chocolate. Just before it's finished melting heat up some cream (100 g chocolate to 100 ml cream (or more cream for a less intense chocolate hit) - increase proportionally) so it's warm, but not boiling. Take both off the heat and pour the cream into the chocolate, stirring quickly. You could also add a pinch of salt, to the cream, some very strong made up instant coffee (made with just enough water to dissolve the granules), some brandy, etc. If this will be a - very rich - mousse, pour into serving dish. You could also stir through with toasted nuts, chopped up apricots, etc. Leave to set for 4 hours. This is also a truffle mix so you could line a tray with baking paper and roll truffles in cocoa (or almonds, etc.) once set.

Another option would be a panna cotta. Melt some gelatin in a little milk. Heat some cream with crushed cardomon pods. Stir in some vanilla essense then the gelatin and leave to set for a few hours - preferably overnight.

Or strawberry and pistachio ice lollies. Chop up some frozen strawberries, add chopped toasted pistachios, stir with cream, some vanilla essence if you want, then spoon the mixture into ice lolly moulds - also works great with yoghurt, and you can play around with the fruit, nuts, etc. Dried, then soaked apricots and almonds work well too.

A 'knickerbocker glory' using unsweetened fruit and crushed toasted nuts layered with vanilla cream works well too.

None of this is zero GI - cream isn't zero, but with no added sugar and choosing the fruit carefully, I get to satisfy my dessert cravings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: smag3

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
You could try just stirring in a spoon of sweetener. Canderel works for me. Then some dark choc grated on top. Yum.