How to test 18month old :(

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m going to test my daughters blood sugar levels tomorrow morning.
She’s been drinking 6+ cups of squash a day and having very full wee nappies (unusually excessive for her). She’s also been unusually touchy the last few days. I’m hoping that I’m just being paranoid.

Do I test her in her finger or her heel?
Her fingers look so tiny to test with :(

Worried.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Obviously I have absolutely no experience with small children and finger prick tests, but I'd probably just go for the finger. Whatever you decide chick, I hope it's a good result.

BUT even if she is diabetic, she's in the best hands. An experienced mummy who loves her all the world! xx

I really hope I’m being over cautious. If she is then we will deal with it.

Her fingers are so small! X

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She’s been drinking 6+ cups of squash a day and having very full wee nappies (unusually excessive for her). She’s also been unusually touchy the last few days. I’m hoping that I’m just being paranoid.

Worried.

I got no idea with kids.... But the GP will..

Book an apointment!

Good luck to you both..

Reactions: claire1991

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I still think that about my 12 year old and she's the same size as me. :D They're always your baby.

I can not even begin to imagine how you feel. Keep me posted. Sending you love and strength xx

Yeah, to me she’s still that newborn I brought home!

Thank you, I’ll update in the morning xx

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@claire1991 they prick the heel for babies, so that's an option if you don't think she'll deal well with a finger prick, but it's probably not necessary for a two year old, if you can clip her finger nails you'll probably be dexterous enough to prick a finger and I bet she won't even notice it, remember to set the setting lower than you use for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will result in a perfectly normal number and nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Levy

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@claire1991 they prick the heel for babies, so that's an option if you don't think she'll deal well with a finger prick, but it's probably not necessary for a two year old, if you can clip her finger nails you'll probably be dexterous enough to prick a finger and I bet she won't even notice it, remember to set the setting lower than you use for you. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will result in a perfectly normal number and nothing to worry about.

That’s what I was thinking, I remember them doing it in her heel after birth.
I’ll see what she’s like in the morning and decide then I think.

Thank you x

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I must admit to giggling a bit. Your comment about her being unusually touchy. HAHA! Welcome to parenting a girl. :D x

she can be grumpy at the best of times (she’s like me!) but the last few days she’s been worse!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fingers crossed for you. The being a bit touchy that you have noticed reminds me of when mine got chicken pox. Your little one is a bit young for that but it has been known. Hopefully, she is just as you describe her, a bit like her Mummy. Good luck.

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fingers crossed for you. The being a bit touchy that you have noticed reminds me of when mine got chicken pox. Your little one is a bit young for that but it has been known. Hopefully, she is just as you describe her, a bit like her Mummy. Good luck.

Can’t be chicken pox, I’ve had her vaccinated against it as I’m certain that’s what caused my diabetes.
She may be coming down with something else though. Let’s hope it’s this and not anything else.
She’s always been touchy if she hasn’t gotten her own way, like me! she’s just been a lot worse this week. Hopefully it’s just normal toddler tantrums!

Reactions: Guzzler

Mark_1

Worried.

Why are you giving an 18 month old 6 cups of squash a day?

Reactions: Jason_Avoneg

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why are you giving an 18 month old 6 cups of squash a day?

Excuse me? I don’t recall asking for opinions on what I give my daughter to drink.
Would you rather I let her dehydrate? She has enough sugar free squash to cover the bottom of her cup diluted with water. Not that it’s any of your concern.
If you have nothing to say that’s actually in response to my question then keep your opinions to yourself.
I’m concerned that she could be developing diabetes, what she drinks is the least of my worries and certainly isn’t a concern of yours!!!

Reactions: Picci

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi there @claire1991
how have you got on ??
x

oops - you posted while I was typing
excellent news !!!

Reactions: claire1991
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What’s wrong with water?

Hello, nothing is wrong with water at all and this thread isn't about possible parenting skills, it's about an 18 month old baby who could of possibly had type 1 diabetes ( an auto immune condition) , I know what that was like as my 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter was diagnosed and was admitted to HDU. I and many other's on here are pleased her BS was in normal range and I wish them well. Let's be relived the little one hasn't got this life long medical condition and is not another member ! :(

claire1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, nothing is wrong with water at all and this thread isn't about possible parenting skills, it's about an 18 month old baby who could of possibly had type 1 diabetes ( an auto immune condition) , I know what that was like as my 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter was diagnosed and was admitted to HDU. I and many other's on here are pleased her BS was in normal range and I wish them well. Let's be relived the little one hasn't got this life long medical condition and is not another member ! :(

Thank you xx