Type 2 Hpa1c result back..

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m T2 and manage by diet alone, never taken pills to manage. A1c has never been above 51 and this test today shows it’s 47.. does this mean I am now Pre-diabetic levels? I know it’s not great but is it passable?

Also following LCHF has risen my cholesterol from 4.9 to 5.6. Any tips on lowering this? Must say Ive gained about half a stone so this may not have helped?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It has put you just inside the pre-diabetic range. (48 and above is diabetic)
You are heading in the right direction - downwards, and that is to be congratulated. Well done.

As for cholesterol, 5.6 is not high, but we can't advise further unless you share the breakdown with us. (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides.) The total is meaningless on its own. Did you fast for this test? This is important as non-fasted can raise triglyceride levels.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It has put you just inside the pre-diabetic range. (48 and above is diabetic)
You are heading in the right direction - downwards, and that is to be congratulated. Well done.

As for cholesterol, 5.6 is not high, but we can't advise further unless you share the breakdown with us. (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides.) The total is meaningless on its own. Did you fast for this test? This is important as non-fasted can raise triglyceride levels.

I asked them specifically to do the Trigs but they didn’t! I’ll screenshot the results, if you could interpret them for me that’ll be great.
IMG_0521.jpg

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
June 2014 - Serum triglyceride levels 1.81 mmol/L ...... but that was last time they were done I think? Unless you can see them above?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your non-HDL is 4.5. This is the total of everything apart from HDL.

This means that as your non-HDL is 4.5, your LDL + Trigs are 4.5. There isn't a way of separating these as far as I can see, so that makes it difficult to comment.

All I can see is that you could do with raising your HDL, which would improve your ratios. Gaining weight and eating carbs may not have helped with the HDL. Carbs are known to deplete HDL. Losing weight, less carbs, and a little more exercise will help

If the test was not fasting, the trigs are likely to have been higher than in a fasted state..

Last edited:

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Non HDL = 4.5 mmol/L. That's not good.
Bummer that they left the trigs out.
did you fast for the above test ?
If you didn't fast, the trig reading is not really useful.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Non HDL = 4.5 mmol/L. That's not good.
Bummer that they left the trigs out.
did you fast for the above test ?
If you didn't fast, the trig reading is not really useful.

It was fasted. Had test first thing his morning and hadn’t eaten for approx 8-10 hours before.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your non-HDL is 4.5. This is the total of everything apart from HDL.

This means that as your non-HDL is 4.5, your LDL + Trigs are 4.5. There isn't a way of separating these as far as I can see, so that makes it difficult to comment.

All I can see is that you could do with raising your HDL, which would improve your ratios. Gaining weight and eating carbs may not have helped with the HDL. Carbs are known to deplete HDL. Losing weight, less carbs, and a little more exercise will help

If the test was not fasting, the trigs are likely to have been higher that in a fasted state..

Would you take Statins in my situation? They keep offering and I keep refusing but the cholesterol is a never ending battle to lower it. It’s the exercise mainly as I work such long hours in a sedentary job.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would you take Statins in my situation? They keep offering and I keep refusing but the cholesterol is a never ending battle to lower it. It’s the exercise mainly as I work such long hours in a sedentary job.

Not unless they did a full lipid panel test. I would want to see my trigs and LDL. Statins reduce LDL. They do not increase HDL. They also increase BS levels. Eating plenty of omega 3 foods and less omega 6 foods will help lower LDL and trigs. (omega 6 is found in processed vegetable oils, which I avoid like the plague. Omega 3 is found in oily fish, seeds, avocados and some nuts)

Many work long hours in a sedentary job, but get round it by walking at lunch time, parking the car further away from the office/train station, getting off the bus a stop early, walking up the stairs instead of lifts, getting up from desk (even just standing for 5 minutes helps) You must have days off? All it takes is walking, no need to join a gym.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Ask if the trigs are available. They may be but just not put in the report. Pathology should know why a fasting test is requested.

Like yourself my bad cholesterol levels ( LDL ) have been on the march too. I've been given a statin but only a very low dose and for 3 months. I admit that while I was concentrating on carb reduction ( successfully ) it was just too difficult to manage the fat intake at the same time. My LDL went up to 3.8 but my HDL and trigs are actually pretty good ( 1.7 and 1.0 ). Now that I've got the carbs well under control I will be juggling the fat intake. Bear in mind that your liver produces most of the LDL component but adding extra from food choices is still considered unwise in some professional circles. For me, I'll be limiting saturated fats to under 20g per day and the rest will be made up with unsaturated types.

Hopefully this will fix things. I'll let the board know in three months time.
Glenn

Reactions: MKD75

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not unless they did a full lipid panel test. I would want to see my trigs and LDL. Statins reduce LDL. They do not increase HDL. They also increase BS levels. Eating plenty of omega 3 foods and less omega 6 foods will help lower LDL and trigs. (omega 6 is found in processed vegetable oils, which I avoid like the plague. Omega 3 is found in oily fish, seeds, avocados and some nuts)

Many work long hours in a sedentary job, but get round it by walking at lunch time, parking the car further away from the office/train station, getting off the bus a stop early, walking up the stairs instead of lifts, getting up from desk (even just standing for 5 minutes helps) You must have days off? All it takes is walking, no need to join a gym.

I work from home 60 plus hours, i make sure I do 10,000 steps twice a week and try and do 30 mins of activity a day. I Go on treadmill when I can but been very slack with it lately! Need to go back on it! Starting tomorrow!

Thank you :)

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ask if the trigs are available. They may be but just not put in the report. Pathology should know why a fasting test is requested.

Like yourself my bad cholesterol levels ( LDL ) have been on the march too. I've been given a statin but only a very low dose and for 3 months. I admit that while I was concentrating on carb reduction ( successfully ) it was just too difficult to manage the fat intake at the same time. My LDL went up to 3.8 but my HDL and trigs are actually pretty good ( 1.7 and 1.0 ). Now that I've got the carbs well under control I will be juggling the fat intake. Bear in mind that your liver produces most of the LDL component but adding extra from food choices is still considered unwise in some professional circles. For me, I'll be limiting saturated fats to under 20g per day and the rest will be made up with unsaturated types.

Hopefully this will fix things. I'll let the board know in three months time.
Glenn

Thank you! Like you, I’ve been trying so hard to not have carbs and upped my fat but obviously to the wrong things... just when I got used to Cream in my coffee when my cholesterol is better my BS is high and vice versa! Trying to manage it is like trying to nail jelly to a tree!!!! Docs notes say I’m in non diabetic range now (even tho I know I am or at least pre levels) but am glad of that.. now on to exercising, shifting this half a stone over found (I blame the weather and less dog walks!!) and cut down on bad fats.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I work from home 60 plus hours, i make sure I do 10,000 steps twice a week and try and do 30 mins of activity a day. I Go on treadmill when I can but been very slack with it lately! Need to go back on it! Starting tomorrow!

Thank you :)

That is excellent. You made it sound like you didn't do any at all! Keep up the good work.

Reactions: MKD75