Hubby just starting on Bydureon

marlymoo

Hi

My hubby has been T2 diabetic about 8 years now, he's on 6 metformin a day and now our gp has suggested we start Bydureon injections - we had read that there can be side effects for the first couple of weeks (sickness mainly) but as his HBA1C is very up and down thought it would be a good idea to give it a go.

Has anyone any advice on how they have coped with these injections, we go to see the diabetic nurse in 2 weeks to start his first one so and help would be greatly apprectiated.

Thanks

Marlymoo :thumbup:

blitzman5

HI been on bydureon for 3 months now hardly any sickness feeling at all can get anti sickness tablets at the same time will help if needed never used so im OK with this drug may help with weight loss as it makes you feel full all the time due to slowing your digestive system down

Knightwatch

Not sure if this info is any use to you, I spoke to consultant at last visit, as I use Byetta Twice per Day and thought Bydureon would be easier, he felt it was to new although licensed for use in UK, was not user friendly, and in my case I have stage 3 Renal Failure, and as I understand License did not cover people like me. So all I would say is have a good chat with GP/Healthcare team before making any changes sometimes better the drugs you know than the ones you don,t - Hope you have some sucess Regards WW :D

ricorick

blitzman5 said:
HI been on bydureon for 3 months now hardly any sickness feeling at all can get anti sickness tablets at the same time will help if needed never used so im OK with this drug may help with weight loss as it makes you feel full all the time due to slowing your digestive system down
Blittzman5 How long did it take for your numbers to go back Down? I have been on bydureon (switched from victoza) for three weeks and my numbers keep going up :(

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Marleymoo.

The only side effect I experienced with the twice daily and now once a week injections is the slowing down of everything going through the digestive tract. It sometimes seems for ever!! Other tha that I have got my HbA1c down to normal numbers and have lost about 8 Kg. The upshot of the Bydureon and the weight-loss is that I have been able to reduce my metformin to only 1x 500 each morning (from 2 x 500 and 1 x 850 per day) and come off the bendroflumethiazide for my blood pressure (still take my other medication for that though).

On the mechanics of using Bydureon, the needle is not a very thin one as Bydureon is a suspension that you mix yourself. Being a suspension it cannot be delivered down an ulta-thin needle. When I was on Byetta, the needle almost sunk into me with no pressure. With Bydureon I find that the least discomfort is obtained by giving the needle a good jab in and not *****-foot around with it. For me that is painless.

Hope your hubby gets on well with the Bydureon.

Regards

Doug

blitzman5

Hi Ricorick don't know yet going for bloods next week so will tell when i get results but after 3 weeks my nurse said thy had certainly come down

LZ-DEN

Dislikes
rudeness,
marlymoo good luck to your husband with the bydureon :) ..i have been using bydureon for a few months now..(also injecting insulin) as im T2,one thing i found is that if i insert the bydureon needle into my tummy quickly i tend to bruise,and it could be painful due to the thick needle..so i found that if i rotate the syringe between my thumb and index finger with the needle just on my skin and push the needle in i dont bruise and the needle goes into my skin with no pain or discomfort what so ever, when i started the bydureon i found that i was not hungry and the treatment worked well..but now for the past 8 weeks im finding the bydureon is wearing off by thursday (i inject on sunday mornings) and im feeling hungry,im at my local diabetic clinic today so i can mention it to my diabetic doctor,may just need some small adjustment in the dose..but good to your husband and all the best..regards..den. :)

marlymoo

Well, he's just had his first injection (I did it which is amazing as I'm terrible with needles :sick: but the diabetic nurse talked me through it), hopefully he'll have no side effects.

Thanks again for all you advice, we both appreciate it :thumbup:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well done. Team work in action!! Here's hoping it will work well for him.

Regards

Doug

marlymoo

think I spoke too soon :sick: hubby had some nausea today and his blood sugars seem very high in relation to his food intake, is this normal with Bydureon? we see our GP on Wednesday so hopefully things will have calmed down a bit by then :thumbup:

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats normal can take up 4 weeks for an improved before-meal bg level, and after 4 weeks for a improved after-meal bg level. Takes 2/3 months for a lower HbA1c reading. After two weeks it makes you feel less hungry and you start to eat less. Over time it can help improve weight, Nausea is very common one in five people suffer from it but after time it will settle down within a few weeks of being on the drug.

marlymoo

Thanks Abs, will pass that onto hubby - he was a bit worried about the high bloods, hopefully they'll settle down soon :thumbup: