1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Huge night time spike

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Miss90, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Janine p

Janine p Type 1 · Member

This always happens to me and it’s so frustrating! If I eat something carby in the eve at say 8pm and go to bed at midnight with a big of 7 I’ll wake in the night and it can be 17? I’ve done numerous over night basal testing and it’s stable? I know how to carb count and also it’s 4 hours after I’ve eaten the carbs anyway, do I need to extend the bonus do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Patriot1

Patriot1 Type 1 · Newbie

Sorry if it’s too late but I never comment on these so I thought I’d give it a go.
    It looks like your bs has dropped in the night so your liver has released some glucose to counteract the drop, thus shooting you sky high! This was happening to me as I’m very active.
    Have you tried to leave it to see if your body re-absorbs the glucose?, it does take time but apparently does happen..!!

3. Patriot1

Patriot1 Type 1 · Newbie

Possibly need more basal as it may be running out part way through the night thus shooting you up maybe?

4. MWheeler

MWheeler Type 1 · Newbie

This was a problem for me for a long time. When I got to the bottom of it, the causes were having too little basal and I also was doing a lot of high intensity training in the evenings (Spin + circuit classes). Anaerobic exercises like these causes a rise in blood glucose also. If you're a gym fiend like me than that may be a factor.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Damtov8

Damtov8 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ditch the carbs. Go below 30 g of carbs a day otherwise you will start to develop serious problems pretty soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Personally I think that is scaremongering. There are lots of people who gain good control without living a monastic food existence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. number_3

number_3 Type 1 · Newbie

I had the same experience

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Most likely lack of fat but sugary sauces or sweet can cause high then low but if too much fat in the evening meal that delayed carb spike can occur through the night. Especially on a night where digestion slows down naturally.
    Carbs and fat together give me delayed spikes on an evening so I have a protein based meal rather than a carb based one. I also have to make sure some carb is in there or protein gets converted to a high BG instead. The life on insulin therapy! Humf!

9. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Sounds like fiasp is getting processed very quickly and then out of your system, far quicker than say novarapid would?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook