Humalin users

mbudzi

Hi, I'm only a few months in as a Type 1 and trying to get my head around the options for managing my diabetes. If anyone out there is a Humalin user I'd like to know what combinations they are using. My GP isn't very knowledgeable but didn't want to follow the consultant's suggestion to use both intermediate and fast acting from Lilly/Humalin.

I can't find another Humalin user on the other conversation threads or a summary of what possible combinations I'd drugs are good/working/not working. Any insight on what is meant by drugs to match my lifestyle would be helpful..as I have no idea what different lifestyles should look like.

The only thing I have discovered in all this is that you need to go in knowing what you want or you will be fobbed off and given as little insight as possible.

Negative I know, but it feels like it's impossible to find concrete facts about options.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mbudzi,
How are you getting on with Humulin. Are you on Humulin S and I. It seems that your diabetes team have put you on Human insulins instead of the analogue insulins which doesn't suite everyone. It takes a while to find a dose which will work for you but your day dose WILL depend on how much CARBS your meal contains. The more carbs you eat then the more insulin you'll need. Test yourself regularly during the day and during the night as well especially if you get up 'for a wee' at night. This will show you how the humulin I is working.

Keep a eye out if you start to feel 'tired'. I had s short time but my control was bad, having changed from novorapid and lantus which was HELL for me. Analogue insulins don't work for everyone.

Van1946

I am type 2 and have been taking humalin I 60units 2 a day, it has been very good for me, my bg before was in the 20's and now if I watch my carbs which I try to keep under 70 per day so in the morning my average is 6mmol and my last one before dinner I am about 10-11. I did have a few hypos in the beginning but always keep my jelly babies next tommy bed. I have to admit I have never felt better since been on it, not always tired, can take care of things in my life. Hope that helps