Humalog action time

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm using Humalog for bolus on MDI's and I'm finding that with me rather than it peeking in about 2 hrs and tailing off over the next 3ish hrs as most information about it suggests. I'm peeking in about 1hr and it's almost all gone in about 2 1/2 hrs (based on Libre data).

My questions are:-

1. Does anyone else experience this?
2. Is there any testing that can be done (like basal testing) that can confirm the working range of bolus insulin as it would make IOB calculations more accurate?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Harrysdad - the best way to test this is to ensure you have a flat basal, then to eat fast carbs (like dextrosol tablets) to push you up from say 4mmol/l to 9-10mmol/l. Wait till the Libre trace is flat, then inject what your correction amount would be to bring you back down to 4mmol/l. You can then see how long it takes to have an effect, and how long it lasts.

Just as an aside, how long are the needles you are using? The timescales you're describing sound similar to intramuscular injections, although one or two people I know do see quite fast action with Humalog.

Reactions: Struma
D

Deleted Account

I can't comment for Humalog but I have decreased the Bolus Duration to 3 hours for NovoRapid on my pump and found this to produce more accurate IOB results.
This was not done via accurate testing but just trial and error. My pump allows me to adjust this parameter by half hour units. So I knocked it back 30 minutes to review for a few weeks and then notched it down again. This seemed about right ... and I was too scared to knock it back any further compared to the default setting.

Harrysdad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Tim, thanks for the info, I'll try that at the weekend.
I'm using 5mm needles, so would be surprised if I'm intramuscular.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The issue with the tail on all these insulins is that you don't identify it as doing much until you either go closed loop or do exercise when in theory, you have no insulin on board according to the DIA you've set. Then you suddenly find unexpected lows occurring as the insulin you have isn't enough to make a significant difference to your glucose levels.

It's quite an interesting study that's waiting to be done into how bad we are at really estimating the tail on Faster insulin.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm using Humalog for bolus on MDI's and I'm finding that with me rather than it peeking in about 2 hrs and tailing off over the next 3ish hrs as most information about it suggests. I'm peeking in about 1hr and it's almost all gone in about 2 1/2 hrs (based on Libre data).

My questions are:-

1. Does anyone else experience this?
2. Is there any testing that can be done (like basal testing) that can confirm the working range of bolus insulin as it would make IOB calculations more accurate?

Yup, me too. Peak around one hour and gone after 2.5. I recently ( a few months ago) switched from novolog to humalog and like humalog much better. Novolog seamed to have a sharp peak at 45-60 min the a quick drop and gone before 2 hours. Humalog is much smoother and lasts a bit longer. I do prebolus 15-20 min even with a vlc, moderate protein and highER fat meal.
I much prefer humalog and it keeps me steadier