Humulin N injection

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I use insulin every night through syringe-pen injection. In the past few months I have had pain and ( cont'd. tremor) on the top of my thighs and tingling at the ends of my hands and feet (due to possibly lithium reduction related or other med interaction). I would like to rule out "site of injection infection", but as it started a few weeks after a fall, it may also be a "crush" injury from knee trauma. I am not sure if stopping the alcohol swab use, may have caused a general infection. It happened around the same time as the knee injury. Bottom line: can unhygienic injection cause a general infection; Please let me know if my question is not clear. Thank you.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use insulin every night through syringe-pen injection. In the past few months I have had pain and ( cont'd. tremor) on the top of my thighs and tingling at the ends of my hands and feet (due to possibly lithium reduction related or other med interaction). I would like to rule out "site of injection infection", but as it started a few weeks after a fall, it may also be a "crush" injury from knee trauma. I am not sure if stopping the alcohol swab use, may have caused a general infection. It happened around the same time as the knee injury. Bottom line: can unhygienic injection cause a general infection; Please let me know if my question is not clear. Thank you.
Hi Erin

I am not a doctor or nurse. But on an occasion when I had really high BG and ketones (This unfortunately happens to me at the slightest infection/illness ) I was asked this by my diabetic nurse, she specifically said to me you haven’t used a needle twice or forgotten to clean with a wipe first ? I know some people can do this for years without any problems at all, this was aimed at me as I seem to be prone to infections easily. However it makes me think it might be possible for some people. Hope that helps, don’t know how you would tell though. We never really found out why I was feeling ill high BG and ketones for a couple of days on that occasion, obviously I was fighting off something, I remember I did have a nasty cut on my hand at the time (which was suggested as possibility) but I will never know for sure.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

I'm no doctor either but from personal experience, infections from injection sites are localised and not systemic. So yo might typically get a rash of some description at the injection site where your immune system is fighting the bugs.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Erin

I am not a doctor or nurse. But on an occasion when I had really high BG and ketones (This unfortunately happens to me at the slightest infection/illness ) I was asked this by my diabetic nurse, she specifically said to me you haven’t used a needle twice or forgotten to clean with a wipe first ? I know some people can do this for years without any problems at all, this was aimed at me as I seem to be prone to infections easily. However it makes me think it might be possible for some people. Hope that helps, don’t know how you would tell though. We never really found out why I was feeling ill high BG and ketones for a couple of days on that occasion, obviously I was fighting off something, I remember I did have a nasty cut on my hand at the time (which was suggested as possibility) but I will never know for sure.

Thank you for replying to this quirky question. I don't have ketones, because I know from testing via an OTC strip. As for not using an alcohol swab as usual, I stopped in case it was the alcohol hand sanitizer that cause the fine tingling when I did use it-- "go figure". It's because it is so localized (thighs after falling on my body) that I suspected infection. My last A1C was 7.6. I have taken insulin for 3 yrs, and been diabetic 2 for about 15.
T

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm no doctor either but from personal experience, infections from injection sites are localised and not systemic. So yo might typically get a rash of some description at the injection site where your immune system is fighting the bugs.

Thanks; that helps, no rash. You might tell that I am trying to avoid the N word. :)