Humulin R500 And 640g

Adamuk1001

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
Can I ask if anyone else is using Humulin R500 in a pump ?
I've been told that the insulin can no longer be supplied for use in pump as some pet have overdosed .
I don't know how they have done it cos I've been using the insulin and pump combination for over 6 years now. For some reason my body will not accept R500 in pen form and my consultant won't supply me R500 in pens and allow me to transfer it from pen to vials for use in pump.
What can I do ? Please anyone.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yep, I am. The manufacturer has decided not to produce r500 in vials in case it is mistaken for a u100 insulin. The pens dial up the actual insulin dose so are thought to be safer.

I experimented and showed my consultant I could transfer directly from the pen to the pump reservoir (640g). He says he can't tell me to do that because it's not recommended, but he's happy to prescribe the r500 pens so I can stay on the pump. (Conveniently, 1 pen = 1 pump reservoir in volume.)

Transferring from a pen to a vial to the pump is 'forbidden' because the extra stage allows the possibility of contamination, or so the nhs guidelines say.

If your consultant is unhappy because no one else is doing this, you can tell him there are at least two more that I know of.

Reactions: Struma

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
In Oz I have been transferring from pen to syringe/reservoir for 6 1/2 years - no problem.
I am using U100 insulin but the issue is similar regards the method. ?
Are they worried about rubber cap particles ?
The syringe/cartridge has a draw-up needle with it so I do not see the problem.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
For the two stage transfer I would guess some jobsworth has said that once the pen needle is exposed to air it is potentially contaminated, it then contaminates the inside of the vial, and then you have insulin being stored in a contaminated environment. I know, I know the chance of this actually happening is soooooo small, but this is the CYA nhs speaking.

The pen to reservoir is simpler. Last time I spoke to the manufacturer's customer services they didn't know it could be done, and hence had no opinion. Therefore the nhs have no 'official' opinion. Some consultants won't recommend it if the nhs doesn't recommend it, some consultants will say if the nhs isn't forbidding it, go ahead.

When did having diabetes become an education in manipulating local politics and institutions?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
For the two stage transfer I would guess some jobsworth has said that once the pen needle is exposed to air it is potentially contaminated, it then contaminates the inside of the vial, and then you have insulin being stored in a contaminated environment. I know, I know the chance of this actually happening is soooooo small, but this is the CYA nhs speaking.

The pen to reservoir is simpler. Last time I spoke to the manufacturer's customer services they didn't know it could be done, and hence had no opinion. Therefore the nhs have no 'official' opinion. Some consultants won't recommend it if the nhs doesn't recommend it, some consultants will say if the nhs isn't forbidding it, go ahead.

When did having diabetes become an education in manipulating local politics and institutions?
When bureaucrats got involved !! Put them all on pumps I say !

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin pumps are designed to be used with u100 insulin. If you put u500 insulin in a pump then you will probably kill yourself.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Insulin pumps are designed to be used with u100 insulin. If you put u500 insulin in a pump then you will probably kill yourself.
Not what my consultant says. Not what has happened over the last three years. Really, you just need a basic grasp of maths (multiplying and dividing by 5). If anything, my number of hypo's has decreased since using r500 in the pump.

Please don't try to scare people for no reason.

Reactions: kitedoc