1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Husband with T1 - am I in right place?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by lizjt, Dec 29, 2018.

1. lizjt

lizjt Family member · Newbie

Hi everyone, not sure I’m in the right place as it’s not me that has diabetes, it’s my husband.

He’s 33 and only diagnosed with T1 at age 31 (very big surprise). We’d like to start a family and I’m struggling to find reliable information! I know there’s a chance it can be passed on, that part we’re fine with, but I’ve read about increased risk of miscarriage and birth defects.

Does anyone have anything they can share with me?

Does it matter that they can’t tell him why he has it? No known family history and auto immune test was low. Are there different types of T1?! I read something which suggested a certain type can cause more problems.

Thanks in advance

2. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There is LADA, which is Type 1.5. It's just a late onset.

3. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @lizjt ,

Welcome to the forum.

You are indeed "in the right place."

A fair few of us don't realy get told why we are diabetic. The fact is most HCPs haven't got a clue as to the exact cause to a particular patient...? (The question quite often gets asked, & they take their best shot at an answer.)
    None the less...
    There is a fair amount of diabetics fathering healthy kids with non D partners.
    Normally with procreation, it takes two.
    Apart from asking regarding your husband's diabetes managment. How is your general health with regards to prep for a family..?

Good luck.

4. Tilly_S

Tilly_S Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The risk of miscarriage and birth defects is for diabetic woman carrying baby you should be more at risk of these x

5. Emily95

Emily95 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If the mother is type 1 diabetic, there is a 1-4% chance the child will be type 1. If the father is type 1 diabetic there is a 4-8% chance the child will have type 1 diabetes. This is the same for each child you have, first child, second child, third child, the chance with each pregnancy is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @lizjt
    Yes, this is the right place. Regarding starting a family, the good news is that your husband is the diabetic, I know that sounds flippant Is so please stick with me as that issues you mention apply to female diabetic pregnancy not where the father is.
    Having said that many of us female t1s have healthy pregnancies and children. My daughter does not have it and none of the diabetic parents that I know in real life have diabetic kids. There is a risk of inheritance, but in my view life is full of risk.
    How is your husband taking things and how does he feel about starting a family?

#6 Diakat, Dec 29, 2018 at 8:19 PM
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook