hyper with coffee?

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I tried to figure out why I get what seem like hyper when I drink coffee. The effect doesn’t last long; maybe 15 minutes. As a test I did a fasting reading first on a morning of 4.7 then 15 minute after drinking a coffee (no sugar) got reading of 5.6 which doesn’t sound a lot and is still in 4-7 mmol range but I suspect it’s the rate of change that gives me a hyper symptom.

What are your experiences of coffee or any other drink with caffeine?

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi RMZ, beautiful duck photo !
I feel a bit buzzy after the first cuppa of the day. I think it is the caffeine that does it.
Also caffeine is known to stimulate some release of sugar stored up the liver. When having a cappuccino at home ( I am in learner mode there) or out at a cafe I allow about 25 g of carbs for the coffee, milk, caffeine etc and bolus in the insulin from the calculation my insulin pump makes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As a test I did a fasting reading first on a morning of 4.7 then 15 minute after drinking a coffee (no sugar) got reading of 5.6
See what happens if you do everything the same without the coffee. It could very well be that your bg acts the same and the rise has nothing to do with the coffee but is just your liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream because you got out of bed.

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Caffeine is a di-phospho-esterase inihibitor that increases the cellular levels of cyclic-AMP ( big ON signal ).

Think of an adrenaline boost as turning on the tap - and caffeine as blocking the plug-hole.

The hyper symptoms may well be a response to the Caffeine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It may not be the coffee raising your BS that little bit. It may be the milk?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I drink quite a lot of coffee but can't say there is any significant affect on my sugar levels.. Maybe accept when I have a flat white..

Reactions: NoCrbs4Me

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Caffeine stimulates release of cortisol, which will produce a rise in BG due to release of liver glycogen. Stress response.
Could also be liver dumping Its not a massive rise, either, 1 mmol? An off the wall question....did you test each time with the same meter? Different meter may have variation of +/- 20%.

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Caffeine stimulates release of cortisol, which will produce a rise in BG due to release of liver glycogen. Stress response.
Could also be liver dumping Its not a massive rise, either, 1 mmol? An off the wall question....did you test each time with the same meter? Different meter may have variation of +/- 20%.

Try decaffeinbated coffee!