Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HOT)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Insulin resistance and hypertension?
Er, yes. some T1D can suffer these, but hyperbaric therapy is really aimed at T2D. But I was suggesting it as an alternative to the rotting feet syndrome which the NHS already uses. I was in chase the hypoglycemic effect mode. And those two authors appear in many good studies into T2D.

Edit to add an aviso: Alas it seems that Zhou and Wang are a Chinese equivalent of Smith and Jones, so my last sentance may be incorrect.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we have effectively answered the second question in the OP. This therapy appears to possibly reduce Insulin Resistance in T2D, and since this is not a common symptom of T1D then hyperbaric therapy would appear to be ineffective in providing a longer term effect for insulin dependant users. So, T1D viewers, save your money IMO. T2D viewers, Watch this space......
<<<<<

>>>>>
Its intriguing but is probably not going to change in a hurry.

Check your feet while you wait - thats a valid use for HOT.

Reactions: EllieM

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently undergoing HBOT for Long Covid. I’m using one of the MS Action centres in London and have so far had in excess of 20 sessions at varying depths since early March.

I have noticed that my blood sugars dip (I wear a Libre) while I am in the chamber, but that is temporary and has not had any material impact on my diabetes.

The therapy itself has had some tangible, if relatively minor impact on my Long Covid - I was hoping it would deal with the fatigue, but have seen only marginal benefits with that. It has however, healed my one ‘Covid’ finger and also led to improvements in my muscle and nerve pains. Of the other long haulers I’ve met through the therapy (the chamber is a multi-place one that can hold up to 6 people), the biggest impact seems to be in helping with brain fog, which fortunately is something I haven’t suffered from.

Reactions: EllieM

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am currently undergoing HBOT for Long Covid. I’m using one of the MS Action centres in London and have so far had in excess of 20 sessions at varying depths since early March.

I have noticed that my blood sugars dip (I wear a Libre) while I am in the chamber, but that is temporary and has not had any material impact on my diabetes.

The therapy itself has had some tangible, if relatively minor impact on my Long Covid - I was hoping it would deal with the fatigue, but have seen only marginal benefits with that. It has however, healed my one ‘Covid’ finger and also led to improvements in my muscle and nerve pains. Of the other long haulers I’ve met through the therapy (the chamber is a multi-place one that can hold up to 6 people), the biggest impact seems to be in helping with brain fog, which fortunately is something I haven’t suffered from.
Seventy years ago we used to do breathing exercises at school "to increase oxygen to the brain" so we did it on the cheap it seems. But clearing brain fog seems plausible. Hope your improvements continue. Long covid must be horrible, and so far i have been lucky. My district is a Covid hotspot with the highest infection rate in England, if you believe the local press.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sevemty years ago we used to do breathing exercises at school "to increase oxygen to the brain" so we did it on the cheap it seems. But clearing brain fog seems plausible. Hope your improvements continue. Long covid must be horrible, and so far i have been lucky. My district is a Covid hotspot with the highest infection rate in England, if you believe the local press.

Thank you!

Reactions: Antje77

Pavan Singh

Thanks Goonergal and everyone else for replying!

Goonergal, since you guys have some time on your hands in the chamber, would you mind asking other participants what type of improvements they've seen in conditions other than what they're being treated for? I'll bet they'll be some interesting responses. Thanks!