Hyperglycemia

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I haven't been on the forum for a while. But, a recent blood test at the doctor showed a significant rise in my sugar levels. I don't know what the actual figure was yet as I'm due to see the doctor next week to discuss the results. I also have an appointment with the diabetes nurse next Monday.

I'm type 2. I'm on 1500 mg Metformin per day. Since Monday I've also been on Jardiance, 10 mg per day.

I've done a few finger prick tests today. However, the test strips I have are out of date, and I'm waiting for a fresh prescription.

The highest reading I've had today was over 33 mmol. That's the highest number my meter can display. Anything higher throws an error saying the reading is high. Over a period of about 4 hours, my sugar level has dropped to 26 mmol.

I don't know how reliable my out-of-date test strips are, and I can't get any new ones until tomorrow.

Despite the high sugar reading, I have no symptoms, and I have been losing weight slowly over the last year or so.

Should I be worried about these high readings, or will it be OK to wait until next week when I will be seeing the doctor and diabetes nurse?

Thanks for any advice.

George D.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Inchindown , good to see you back!

I'm sorry things aren't going as you'd want them to with your diabetes.
The highest reading I've had today was over 33 mmol. That's the highest number my meter can display. Anything higher throws an error saying the reading is high. Over a period of about 4 hours, my sugar level has dropped to 26 mmol.

I don't know how reliable my out-of-date test strips are, and I can't get any new ones until tomorrow.
A level that high is worth calling 111, but out of date teststrips are not to be trusted.
If it were me, I'd either call 111 or buy fresh teststrips first thing in the morning, provided I had no symptoms.
If the reading is correct, it's high enough to be seen right now, not next week.
If in doubt, seek medical help.

All the best, and please keep us updated!

Inchindown

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm pleased to say that my blood sugar number has fallen overnight to 15 mmol. While still higher than I would like, I'm pleased it is well below where it was yesterday.

I will get some fresh test strips this morning and see if my numbers are any different.

I think I just let things go and didn't notice my numbers had gone up. I will try to get back on a good routine again and see if I can get back down to the normal level again.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For future reference, if you have run out of strips and are concerned your BG may be high, it is worth asking your pharmacist if they can do a test.
In the past, there have been pharmacy run campaigns to test for type 2 and I think they just do a normal finger prick test.

sillyshe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I once got a shock testing. It read 18. But i felt well!
Tested again…..same result. Quite worried to say the least!!
Thinking,thinking, why why??
Aaargh …washed my hands. Tested 8.2
Had been peeling carrots and didnt do it
PHEW!!

• Funny
Reactions: Outlier