Type 1 Hyperthyroidism affecting blood sugar control

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I recently had my blood tests done a1c n all. And my tests showed that I'm having some hyperthyroidism activity (although my T3 and T4 levels are normal) which is causing adrenaline rush, feeling shortage of air, muscle tiredness and in turn spiking my blood sugar levels. My A1C is 6.7. My doctor told me to wait for a month and do the TSH test again to see if this is really a problem then he may start some treatment for it. Anyone else having or had this type of problem?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I recently had my blood tests done a1c n all. And my tests showed that I'm having some hyperthyroidism activity (although my T3 and T4 levels are normal) which is causing adrenaline rush, feeling shortage of air, muscle tiredness and in turn spiking my blood sugar levels. My A1C is 6.7. My doctor told me to wait for a month and do the TSH test again to see if this is really a problem then he may start some treatment for it. Anyone else having or had this type of problem?
Blue_Star - HypERthyroidism is much more common that HypOrthyroidism, but they certainly both happen and not too uncommonly in those with autoimmune conditions. Did your Doctor test for antibodies when he test last time? If not, please do ensure they are tested next time around. That helps inform the root cause of any thyroid condition.
I haven't heard much on here from people with over-active thyroids, but I'm sure they're around.
When I started learning more about thyroid conditions I joined the Health Unlocked Thyroid UK forum, which is very much like here - peer support by others living with the same or similar conditions:
https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk
Like all of these things, it's a learning curve, but given time, things settle down to be a bit more comfortable.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue_Star - HypERthyroidism is much more common that HypOrthyroidism, but they certainly both happen and not too uncommonly in those with autoimmune conditions. Did your Doctor test for antibodies when he test last time? If not, please do ensure they are tested next time around. That helps inform the root cause of any thyroid condition.
I haven't heard much on here from people with over-active thyroids, but I'm sure they're around.
When I started learning more about thyroid conditions I joined the Health Unlocked Thyroid UK forum, which is very much like here - peer support by others living with the same or similar conditions:
https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk
Like all of these things, it's a learning curve, but given time, things settle down to be a bit more comfortable.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Blue_Star, as a diabetic, not professional advice or opinion. I fail to see how you could have hyperthyroidism if your thyroid tests are in normal range.
Perhaps your thyroid test results are near the upper end of the range and your doctor is concerned they might rise further?
Also with normal thyroid tests that does not explain any adrenaline rush or shortage of breath etc, unless, maybe, as I have read, a person's thyroid gland begins enlarging downwards and presses on the breathing tube (trachea).
I would be questioning your doctor very soon to make sure about all of this as I am afraid that what you have been told does not make much sense.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Blue_Star ...
Don't give up, your symptoms sound very familiar to me..........I had to ride out the ridicule for 18 months and numerous "Normal" tests before I was proven right, that my Thyroid was misbehaving.......I was finally diagnosed with Hypo-Hyperthyrotoxicosis .......I know your thinking yes but that's not what I asked......bear with me.......by then I had a goitre and could not put my head on my chest, sleep on my back and a deviation of 5% to my trachea making breathing and swallowing difficult.....
I had my thyroid, all 1 1/2lbs of it, removed and not looked back........ I would ask your GP for a Thyroid scan to check for any overgrowth, I have one every 2 years to check on mine.

Last edited: