Hypo alert monitors

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,
My friend's father has had a few scary hypos lately due to his type 2 meds and erratic diet. He is 83 years old and it has knocked his confidence to the point he won't go out and has got very upset. I was telling his daughter about the wrist monitors for detecting hypos and sending an alert to a relative's mobile phone. I am sure I have read of such a thing on this forum, but I can't find the thread. Can anyone tell me more about these gadgets, recommend one and let me know how accurate they are. Do you have too get very low (say <2.5) before they detect the hypo. Even one without the phone alert may just help him regain his confidence. Any help would be appreciated.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My understanding is that these hypo bands don't detect hypos per se, but they do detect cold sweats, so if your friend's dad suffers from cold sweats as a reliable hypo symptom it might be a good product for him. How low he would have to get to alarm really depends on when in the hypo he gets a cold sweat. I've not read if they can alert to a mobile.

The dexcom G5 can alert to any i-device (iPhone iPad etc) nominated - but that would mean an invasive CGM system that would be considerably more costly.