hypo all night!

unietis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm diabetic for more then 6 months. For the last 2-3 weeks it seemed that i am coming out of diabetes honeymoon, as i started to need more and more insulin. Yesterday evening I took my usual Lantus amout and after one hour or so i started to see that my sugar level is going down more quickly than it is usually does with Lantus. (I'm using Freestyle Libre, so i can monitor things a bit better).
So, just to be on the safe side, i ate some snacks and just before sleep my BG was around 115mg/dl (6.38 mmol/L) the a trend of going up.
This morning i woke up a bit earlier and sweaty- and sure i was hypo. But when i checked my Libe i was in shock! Just after 2am my BG went down to 60mg/dl (3.33 mmol/L) and stayed in that area until 7AM. Confirmed the same results with my normal meter as well! It has never happened to such a degree like this.
My question is - how bad it is to have such a night, what kind of affect it can leave on my body and what can i do more to prevent such an episode like this!
And is it normal to go back into honeymooning even it seems your honeymoon is over?

p.s. monday i'm going to see my doc..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My question is - how bad it is to have such a night, what kind of affect it can leave on my body and what can i do more to prevent such an episode like this!

Basal testing is the answer, if last nights experience was a one-off then maybe just monitor for a few more nights and see what happens to your bg levels, if it isn't a one-off and your having hypo's every night then you need to reduce your basal insulin, if unsure what to do speak with your DSN or Consultant.

Good luck.

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't feel I need to add anything but to answer your question as to whether it's normal to come in and out of the honeymoon, yes absolutely (in my own experience). I'd say it took me a good 6-9 months to really start stabilising.
Also, I was personally given the advice to aim to be around 7-8mmol before bed time if (like me) you take lantus in the evening. Though as you said, your libre said your blood sugar was rising. Nonetheless, if your basal dose is set right then you shouldn't see such a drop overnight.

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Did you by mistake give yourself Bolus instead of Lantus and that could have caused the first drop? I did that in the past when on MDI!