Type 1 Hypo Awareness - does it disappear after time?

mazza31

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondered if someone can help me diagnosed 2007 bloods are either up or down and now losing hypo awareness at 2.8 so a bit concerned ? Dsn has advised to run bloods higher till awareness comes back but then they complain and say I need to run bloods lower again! Anyone feel like they just can’t win?!!!! Any advice or help would be grateful

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have been told the same. I’ve been running between 6-9 for some time now and I feel hypos at around 3.8mmol/l mark. Sometimes it takes a little longer to notice but I am hopeful it will make its return. My hypos have reduced as well, instead of everyday, it’s 1-2 a week or so and that has made a difference on hypo awareness.

Reactions: therower

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it really does help, I lost hypo awareness a year after I was diagnosed, I was sleeping through hypo's and everything, it led to a large reduction in basal also but I ran higher for a short while and could feel low around 4.2 so it can work xx

Reactions: therower

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I lost hypo awareness ages ago. My range is now set to 8 - 8.5 and starting to notice them a little bit more.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Are you sure your loosing awareness and not just mistaking it for something else
I’m saying this as especially at my volunteering where I work with animals. I’ve had hypos in the morning before but I’ve never recognised then till lunch time as. I’ve mistaken them for just being tired from the work. However this is the main time I don’t always recognise then. I pretty much don’t feel hypos till 3.3 or lower most times

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

The signs for me can change pending on how the body's "power distribution" is routed (activities at the time.) & the type of insulin that may be active whilst low.
On the old porcine insulin as a kid there were some real "steel magnolia" types which HCPs & laughably DVLA still reference as a sign of awairness.

The syptoms can still arise. But there are other symptoms too. The trick is to stay tuned in & avoiding the ambulance.