Type 2 ? Hypo/confused

NannyP 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read somewhere on here that in the main a person with type 2 would not have hypos i am just wondering about this due to my experiences in the mornings.

I have been following liberal 100/150g low carb way of eating since April. resulting in weight reduction plus my blood sugars levels falling. My HBA1C was originally 58

IE fasting or before breakfast BS are 5.9 up to 7.2 in the main blood sugars are around 6.4.

After
breakfast my blood sugars have been between 4.8 to 5.1 (breakfast could be eggs on toast 18g bread), porridge, pancakes or yogurt and fruit. For weeks my blood sugars after breakfast have been lower then before I eat. I do take my dogs for a walk at times before retesting at 2 hours ??? this morning i felt shaky and weird so to be honest i ate the dogs treats (mature cheese) and returned home remaining feeling weird. blood sugars when tested were 4.3 so thoroughly enjoyed fruit and yogurt.

it is normal these day for my blood sugars before lunch to be either in the late 4 (4.8) or early 6's following lunch by around 3 (when I go to work) it can be between 6.2/7.0

teatime blood sugars can be in the normal range before eating then 2 hours after can be up to 7.0.

lunch and tea time blood sugars normally staying within 2 mmols (ish though does depend on if Im testing a food.)

Sorry for long post

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have read somewhere on here that in the main a person with type 2 would not have hypos i am just wondering about this due to my experiences in the mornings.

I have been following liberal 100/150g low carb way of eating since April. resulting in weight reduction plus my blood sugars levels falling. My HBA1C was originally 58

IE fasting or before breakfast BS are 5.9 up to 7.2 in the main blood sugars are around 6.4.

After
breakfast my blood sugars have been between 4.8 to 5.1 (breakfast could be eggs on toast 18g bread), porridge, pancakes or yogurt and fruit. For weeks my blood sugars after breakfast have been lower then before I eat. I do take my dogs for a walk at times before retesting at 2 hours ??? this morning i felt shaky and weird so to be honest i ate the dogs treats (mature cheese) and returned home remaining feeling weird. blood sugars when tested were 4.3 so thoroughly enjoyed fruit and yogurt.

it is normal these day for my blood sugars before lunch to be either in the late 4 (4.8) or early 6's following lunch by around 3 (when I go to work) it can be between 6.2/7.0

teatime blood sugars can be in the normal range before eating then 2 hours after can be up to 7.0.

lunch and tea time blood sugars normally staying within 2 mmols (ish though does depend on if Im testing a food.)

Sorry for long post

Hi NannyP 2, you're making good prrgress there. I'm not entirely sure what it is, specifically, you're confused by? Is it that your numbers are going low and close the 4, the number usually associated as getting close to hypo-land?

If it's that, your profile is correct, in that you don't take any medication, and you felt OK, I'd say don't worry at all.

I've been living a lLC lifestyle for four and a half years now, and my numbers are often in the 3s. I don't take any meds, and feel fine. In due course, if my numbers go low, my liver will kick in and give me a bit of energy until I'm fuelling up (eating) again.

Many non-diabetics go into the 3s all the time, only they generally have no idea, because they don't test.

If you were feeling a bit off, then I'd suggest if you were about to eat, decide if you could wait for food, but if you couldn't, or you were feeling a bit rough, then something gentle like a cup of tea would just gently nudge your numbers up a bit.

Personally, I have never, ever treated a low number with jelly babies or dextrose tablets, because generally I feel fine (although sometimes very ready to eat!), and going from a low reading to a thump of glucose would, in my personal opinion be a bit of an assault on my system.

Anyone taking medication designed to drive their blood glucose numbers down (those don't include Metformin) would likely prefer, or need, to handle things differently.

NannyP 2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi NannyP 2, you're making good prrgress there. I'm not entirely sure what it is, specifically, you're confused by? Is it that your numbers are going low and close the 4, the number usually associated as getting close to hypo-land?

If it's that, your profile is correct, in that you don't take any medication, and you felt OK, I'd say don't worry at all.

I've been living a lLC lifestyle for four and a half years now, and my numbers are often in the 3s. I don't take any meds, and feel fine. In due course, if my numbers go low, my liver will kick in and give me a bit of energy until I'm fuelling up (eating) again.

Many non-diabetics go into the 3s all the time, only they generally have no idea, because they don't test.

If you were feeling a bit off, then I'd suggest if you were about to eat, decide if you could wait for food, but if you couldn't, or you were feeling a bit rough, then something gentle like a cup of tea would just gently nudge your numbers up a bit.

Personally, I have never, ever treated a low number with jelly babies or dextrose tablets, because generally I feel fine (although sometimes very ready to eat!), and going from a low reading to a thump of glucose would, in my personal opinion be a bit of an assault on my system.

Anyone taking medication designed to drive their blood glucose numbers down (those don't include Metformin) would likely prefer, or need, to handle things differently.

Thank you

I am not taking any medication, I got a bit wary as I was up a mountain walking the dog and felt shaky and strangely distant so ate the cheddar cheese treats that I had for the dog. upon returning home and testing blood sugar levels they were 4.3

I have had something similar whilst at home so have had my monitor to hand tested, then have ignored way I was feeling as levels were okay.

looking at my blood sugar levels since I have began testing it is always after breakfast and before lunch which have been the lowest.

Many thanks