Hypo hunger

nicolan6534

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have tips on controlling hunger brought on by a hypo? I normally have 3 jelly babies & then a small amount of carbs which generally does the trick however recently when I've had a hypo I've eaten everything in sight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah, I found this happened sometimes, especially the really bad hypos. Generally the hunger passes some time after my sugars are normal again, so once I've had enough to treat the hypo I try to stall myself as long as I can before eating more.

Here are a few different ways I've dealt with it at different times - all have been pretty successful:
-My partner (very well versed in Type 1) tells me when to stop eating and gives me moral support in resisting the hunger
-Eating low-carb, low-GI, or slow-chewing foods, particularly stuff like artificially sweetened candy, chewing gum, etc. Obviously treat the hypo properly first.
-Carb counting (or getting partner to do it) all the food I eat, which delays the process a bit, then injecting an appropriate amount of rapid insulin to prevent a bad high. (Be careful not to bring on another hypo though - remember there is likely still fast-acting insulin in your system, and you may also have gone hypo due to increased insulin sensitivity)