hypo like symptoms

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Today I have had practically no carbs and waht sugar I have had was in the form of 7 or eight rasberrys. I had scrambled egg and grilled bacon at 6.30 this morning at 12.30 I had salad with a little bluecheese dressing but only arround a level tbl spoon and some corned beef 80 grams ish . About 3.30 I had some sugarfree jelly with a few rasberrys in it. At 4.30 ish my bg was 8.8 which is normal for me . I finished work at 5.30 went shopping and when I got home ended up on internet about an hour or so ago I start3d to feel realy ****** headache, tired, tiered/sore eyes felt realy hungery and even my muscles feel drained and sore as if I have done a hard work out and pulled some of them . I cheched my bg and it was 7.3 which is low for me at the moment . Are these hypo like symptoms and if so is it because I have been running high for so long that my body is struggleing to adjust or could it be to do with glucose tollerence/absorbtion or some other reason . I ate a small peice of cheese and a few nuts and it eleviated it imediatly hasnt got rid of it but felt almost instently decernably better. Just about to eat tea now so hope I feel even better after that . Verry new to all this so please advise
:thumbdown:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi !

It sounds like you are experiencing 'False hypo's' which although feel very unpleasant,can be common when you're body has got used to running high BG levels and when you start to bring those levels down your body can protest and say "Hey! where's my sugar???" but it does get easier and i would suggest in the meanwhile that when this happens you sit down,relax,drink a tea or coffee and wait for it to pass as treating the symptoms with sugar or carbs will just invoke a viscous circle.

Paul

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good advice there, dont feed false hypos to feel better. Give your body time to get used to the normal levels.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Should add, make sure youve washed hands before testing. Any traces of sugar may give a false higher reading and you may be in fact too low :0

sw11bloke

Hi Whompa

What you are experiencing is normal after running high for so long. I been through it myself. Keep checking you blood sugar, keep eating as you did today. Perhaps have 1 longer acting carbohydrate like a Nairns oatcake. Each biscuit contains 6grams of Carbohydrate. Its low GI and high in fibre and will help you blood sugar stabilise a little more.
I used to feel hypo at 7. When I felt hypo, I just ate 1 Nairns oatcake to give me peace of mind that Im noy going to have a hypo.
After a week or so my body got used to running between 6 and 10. Now I feel hypo at 3.5 which is great.
What you are doing is great so keep it up and you will soon feel normal at 6 pr 7.
Running high causes complications which you really dont want. I sadly only made changes after being diagnosed with maculopathy which is non reversable so now I have to work so much harder to keep my blood sugar within normal range.

Good luck and keep up your good management

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Cheers guys I have now eaten a feel soo much better even thought iit was no to low ccarb had a couple of sausages and chicken legs done in halogen oven did saussages because they cook quicker and need something to eat. Do sausages contain carbs? I know whey have stuf other than meat in it not too sure what it is or carb values though

sw11bloke

Meat, sausages, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese are protein so no insulin required. I also dont take insulin to cover vegetables which grow above the ground.
Proteins and veg that grow above the ground shouldnt really increase your blood sugar levels.
Tonight I had chicken, brocolli and cauliflower for dinner so did not take any insulin.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
paul-1976 said:
Hi !

It sounds like you are experiencing 'False hypo's' which although feel very unpleasant,can be common when you're body has got used to running high BG levels and when you start to bring those levels down your body can protest and say "Hey! where's my sugar???" but it does get easier and i would suggest in the meanwhile that when this happens you sit down,relax,drink a tea or coffee and wait for it to pass as treating the symptoms with sugar or carbs will just invoke a viscous circle.

Paul[/quote

Always wash before testing. When you say dont feed a false hypo is that just with carbs or sugar or dose that mean other stuff aswell eg meat or chicken. Must admit even after only 20min since eeating I seem to come back down abit but then back up a bit feling a bit quavery realy how long do false hyops useually last . And maybe not drank enough was coz if feeling ******. Gota love those learning curves

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
sw11bloke said:
Meat, sausages, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese are protein so no insulin required. I also dont take insulin to cover vegetables which grow above the ground.
Proteins and veg that grow above the ground shouldnt really increase your blood sugar levels.
Tonight I had chicken, brocolli and cauliflower for dinner so did not take any insulin.[/quote

On metaformin and diet at monent hopfully wont have to go down the insulin route as cant afford to loose licence even for a short while. I'm a real wimp when it comes to needles.

slaterk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sausages certainly can contain carbs. Read the label. Even the best sausages in this country are only around 80% meat and contain things like breadcrumbs and some contain sugar too. I had some top quality sausages tonight but each one contained 4g of carbs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
slaterk said:
Sausages certainly can contain carbs. Read the label. Even the best sausages in this country are only around 80% meat and contain things like breadcrumbs and some contain sugar too. I had some top quality sausages tonight but each one contained 4g of carbs.

Oops grrr they where very small sausage (chipolata's) ****** :O

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yep, most sausages contain carbs. Them buggers are hidden everywhere!

Weens12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
whompa73 said:
Guess I'm gonna have to become a ninja carb hunter

Hiya Whompa73,

I would recommend Black Farmer Sausages.. they are very tasty and only 1g carb per 100g. They're the lowest carb sausages I've found.

http://www.theblackfarmer.com/gluten_fr ... k_sausages

They have chipolatas too...

http://www.theblackfarmer.com/gluten_fr ... chipolatas

Somebody posted about them here a while back - as they use them to make Scotch eggs, which are a good low-carb snack.

hard boil an egg, cool and remove the shell. Remove the skin from one of the sausages, and form the sausage meat round the egg ( wetting your hands will make this a bit easier) Bake in the oven at 180C for about 25-30 mins. Delish!

They're nice hot or cold.

Weens12

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Weens12 said:
whompa73 said:
Guess I'm gonna have to become a ninja carb hunter

Hiya Whompa73,

I would recommend Black Farmer Sausages.. they are very tasty and only 1g carb per 100g. They're the lowest carb sausages I've found.

http://www.theblackfarmer.com/gluten_fr ... k_sausages

They have chipolatas too...

http://www.theblackfarmer.com/gluten_fr ... chipolatas

Somebody posted about them here a while back - as they use them to make Scotch eggs, which are a good low-carb snack.

hard boil an egg, cool and remove the shell. Remove the skin from one of the sausages, and form the sausage meat round the egg ( wetting your hands will make this a bit easier) Bake in the oven at 180C for about 25-30 mins. Delish!

They're nice hot or cold.

Weens12
Cheers dude

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I would also recommend the Black farmer sausages and Debbie and Andrews 97% meat pork sausages from Tesco's :D

iHs

Sainsbury's also do gluten free sausages that are very low in carb. Look for the brands already mentioned but also Taste the Difference Sicillian and Toulouse - 1.4g cho per 100g weight