1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypo night question.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ianuesane, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Ianuesane

Ianuesane Researcher · Newbie

Hi, all......so i have a question that my nurse has not answered as such so need advice.
    We have been told not to wake our son up at night (who's 8) to test him..... do you guy's test your children in the night?

He was diagnosed type 1 3 weeks ago but we was worried he may have a low in the night so we started checking him to find out he was 2/3 am every morning.

The nurse has adjusted his levimir and novorapid to try and calm thing's down (but only because we asked them as they have not been bothering to contact us at all.!)

The nurse then said if he has a low in the night his body will wake him up and/or his liver will kick in and release the stored sugars to bring his level back up......? is this true?
    If so how come it doesn't do this in the day to some degree?

Enough from me

Awaiting your answers

Attached Files:

2. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi it does happen to me at night I’ve had diabetes 40 years and always have woken up if I have a hypo at night, I would check sugars before he goes to sleep , I went through a stage where I use to slightly elevate my sugars before bed , I presume your son is on the old finger prick, what they use to do when I was in hospital years ago they use to take it out of my toe they never use to wake me at first I woke up eventually I got use to it and apparently snored my way through it.
    One thing I will say is it’s you and your son who have to deal with this for the rest of his life so if you want to take his sugar at night u do it , you will find there is lots of advice about , but do what works for you especially around bs testing . You will find through time and experience that not all advice given should be taken as read
    If taking bs in the middle of the night gives you “ peace of mind “ we’ll you carry on it’s not against any rules that I know of
    Good luck

3. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed 3 years ago in my 40s and have had a few overnight hypos where I haven't woken up. The low BG first thing in the morning and splitting headache that lasts all day is the giveaway.

You test away IMO

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook