Hypo Premonitions

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Does anyone else have Hypo premonitions?
I have been feeling really hypo (again) CGM and blood sample on a strip agree, for a change at 8.2mmol/L so certainly not hypo, but feeling anxious, a bit shaky, slightly sweaty (it is summer and I am in Brisbane and I have air con, but it's not proper refrigerative, it's a large 40+ floor apartment block) 90min latter 3.2mmol/L (both agree) and I'm into the jelly beans. It's going to be one of those nights, who says T1 Diabetes doesn't make life interesting.

I know testing lags by a little and CGM lags by 5 - 20 min, but I was 90 min out and the CGM was in a nice gradual fall. This premonition happens frequently, but not every time, although I'm very hypo aware when having one. I know I'm strange, but does anyone else have a similar experience?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Were you already dropping fast? That can give a hypo feeling, although it never happened to me when above 6 or so.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get premonitions when I'm going hypo which I think are the early physical signs. Sometimes when I am dropping fast for one reason or another I get false hypo sensations/premonitions. I always take action. If I do have the time to take a reading, if it's not low, I might not take action right away but I am wary and take another reading bit later to confirm what's happening. The first thing for me that indicates oncoming hypos is increased energy and alertness which is a most positive feeling. That lasts about 15 minutes and then I get the shakes etc.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Chowie, I get them with rapid drops. It is the slow, insidious declines in BSL which sometimes slip under my 'radar' until I get to maybe a meter reading of 3.6 mmol/l.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes, I get them too with the drops, and then it’s hard to determine whether it’s really a hypo til the bloods say it is. My already compromised brain runs through all the causes, both sensible and daft, possible before the jelly babies go in.