1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hypo Premonitions

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Chowie, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does anyone else have Hypo premonitions?
    I have been feeling really hypo (again) CGM and blood sample on a strip agree, for a change at 8.2mmol/L so certainly not hypo, but feeling anxious, a bit shaky, slightly sweaty (it is summer and I am in Brisbane and I have air con, but it's not proper refrigerative, it's a large 40+ floor apartment block) 90min latter 3.2mmol/L (both agree) and I'm into the jelly beans. It's going to be one of those nights, who says T1 Diabetes doesn't make life interesting.

I know testing lags by a little and CGM lags by 5 - 20 min, but I was 90 min out and the CGM was in a nice gradual fall. This premonition happens frequently, but not every time, although I'm very hypo aware when having one. I know I'm strange, but does anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Were you already dropping fast? That can give a hypo feeling, although it never happened to me when above 6 or so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I get premonitions when I'm going hypo which I think are the early physical signs. Sometimes when I am dropping fast for one reason or another I get false hypo sensations/premonitions. I always take action. If I do have the time to take a reading, if it's not low, I might not take action right away but I am wary and take another reading bit later to confirm what's happening. The first thing for me that indicates oncoming hypos is increased energy and alertness which is a most positive feeling. That lasts about 15 minutes and then I get the shakes etc.

4. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Chowie, I get them with rapid drops. It is the slow, insidious declines in BSL which sometimes slip under my 'radar' until I get to maybe a meter reading of 3.6 mmol/l.

5. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yes, I get them too with the drops, and then it’s hard to determine whether it’s really a hypo til the bloods say it is. My already compromised brain runs through all the causes, both sensible and daft, possible before the jelly babies go in.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook