Hypo Stories

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
This probably (or definitely) has been done before but lets do it again since I cannot find the post. I want to know inconvenient/awkward/annoying/seriously bad/funny/typical stories of your hypos. I always love reading them as sometimes it feels like it is just me who has hypos at annoying times but I am pretty sure it happens to the best of us.

My most recent was on my first driving lesson about 6 months ago. I was so excited to learn how to drive, especially since its a bit of a commute on the train to my work and I left learning to drive a car a bit late (27) because I had been into motorbikes when I was younger. Anyway, I got my first lesson at 7am and was so excited, I decided to skip breakfast because I can never tend to eat much at that time in the morning. I get in the car and introduce myself and then I let the instructor know I am Diabetic and in case of a hypo I would need to pull over, and here comes the catchphrase.... I said 'this never normally happens as I am under good control'. LOW AND BEHOLD 10 minutes into my lesson just as I had got in the drivers seat and began pulling off in first gear, on comes that feeling of hunger creeping in. I knew it, it was a hypo. I pulled over and pretty much just told him it would be best to just take me home because I would not be able to drive for around 30/40 minutes anyway. He very kindly rearranged my lesson which was very nice of him and I have since passed and now have a car :D

I have also had hypos during sex which is always the worst time in the world......

So go on... what are your worst????

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I had one in a meeting I had my workbag with me so knowing I had gone hypo with shakes and sweats I just got my meter tested confirmed it was a hypo and took some glucogel out of my bag and guzzled it sat still with meter on table ready to re test 10-15 mins later

I was asked if I was alright to which I replied no not really but I will be soon

Re tested and had gone up sufficiently

In the meantime they suspended the meeting for a comfort break for everyone

I was ok to carry on after the comfort break

Also had that hypo feeling when driving and soon pulled over to treat it. Like you I have myself plenty of time sitting and checking bloods before driving off

I have 2 bottles lucozade at all times in the car boot and dextrose in glove box

Hypos are awful full stop