Hypo symptoms but blood sugar is 180 American)

Saramvolk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am Type 2 and have been for about 10 years. I've always experienced hypoglycemia ever since I was a teenager. I'm 43 now. I'm having daily attacks where I have severe hypo symptoms but my blood sugar is never low and is in fact high! My endocrinologist told me he doesn't know why. I'm so frustrated. I've had multiple EKGs so it's not cardiac. My numbers are not so high that I'm feeling this way because my body isn't used to being closer to normal. My blood sugar have remained fairly stable for the last couple years. No one seems to be able to explain to me why I would feel low when I'm high. Eating helps the symptoms, as if I were low. My sensor and finger stick kit are calibrated and always within 5-10 points of each other. Has anyone ever experienced this or have an explanation as to why iI might be feeling this way? Thank you to anyone who can help. I just want to feel better.

ThoseRainyDays

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I experienced this when I moved to low carb. For me they were false hypos and from what I've read, can feel just like a real hypo except blood glucose is in a good range or may be high still.

Our bodies get used to running at high bg levels and when we reduce that, even though "we" know it's a good level, our bodies panic and give us symptoms so we do something to bring it back up to what it's used to.

If this is what you're experiencing, I found giving it some time to pass helped and slowly over time it reduced. I don't get false hypos now and from recollection, they disappeared after a few weeks. Eating may help the symptoms but if you've got good bg, eating foods that may raise you bg will just raise your bg unnecessarily and prolong how long you get false hypos.

If your levels are usually good, is it worth getting a cgm trial to track what your bloods are doing before, during and after? Could it be blood pressure? May be worth speaking to your GP to run additional tests, to rule other things out.

I hope you get it sorted

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is well recognised and Dr Robert Atkins allowed for it in his diet by adding back high quality carbs.

Your body, like mine, is hooked on high bg. As bg comes down you feel rough.

Over the last couple of days ig has been getting better for me so stick with it, it will pass.