Type 1 Hypo Symptoms despite a BGL of 6

LenCabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was upstairs doing some jobs as you do when I noticed tremors which ia my personal tell tale sign of a hypo.

I came downstairs and tested my sugars and they were 6. I use a OneTouch Verio and curious as to how accurate the glucometer actually is.

Anyone have any problems with it?

Is it possible to have a hypo with a BGL of 6?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @LenCabe. Obvious question first. Did you have clean fingers prior to testing?
Did you do another check?
A rapid drop in BS can catch us unawares. Theoretically if you were dropping fast your sugars could have been 4. The blood in your finger tips could have been playing catch up with the rest of your body.
I suspect as you are aware of being hypo then you most likely were. The meter test was a timing issue most likely.
Out of curiosity how long have you been diagnosed?

LenCabe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Everything was clean and I did 5 tests. All results within 6 and 7. I have been a diabetic under a year. I have only recently started using the OneTouch Verio hence my suspicions of its latent accuracy.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LenCabe . This makes for a bit of a confusing issue. Obviously you're monitor was adamant that your sugars were not at hypo levels. Have you got test solution to perform calibration tests? May have to be your next port of call.
Many years ago I was given a meter, can't remember what it was, but I just couldn't get on with it. I never felt it was accurate and was giving me readings that just didn't feel right. Suffice to say I stopped using it and reverted back to a brand of meter I had previously used and liked/ trusted.
For what it's worth I have occasions when if I'm active I can feel that I'm lower than I actually am. Blood can be around 7 yet I feel hunger pangs, shaky and light headed. Just one of the many joys of being diabetic.
Definitely feel that if you don't trust or feel okay with your current meter look to change it. It's a vital piece of kit.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea if this is relevant, but with Type 2 non-insulin cases, people report hypo symptoms when they are 6 or 7, and this is known as a false hypo, caused because the body is used to much higher levels, so thinks yoo are going hypo and gives out the symptoms.

Can this happen to insulin users??

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea if this is relevant, but with Type 2 non-insulin cases, people report hypo symptoms when they are 6 or 7, and this is known as a false hypo, caused because the body is used to much higher levels, so thinks yoo are going hypo and gives out the symptoms.

Can this happen to insulin users??
Most definitely. If blood sugars have been running high over a period of time then most definitely a drop to 6 can feel like a hypo. The body just isn't used to being at this level.

Reactions: Bluetit1802