hypo

teddybear

[/b] TYPE 2. 25 YEARS OF HAVING HYPOS, USING INSULIN.
QUICK WAY TO RECOVER, IS TO HAVE A JAR
JAM, ABOUT THREE TABLESPOONS SORT OUT
HYPOS IN A VERY ACCECPTABLE WAY.

Artichoke

I'm all for sharing information but IMO hypos can be serious and if a person is having them regularly from either oral meds or insulin s/he should be going back to GP/consultant and getting dosage adjusted rather than buying jam.

I have to agree with Artichoke on this. The physical stress that the body undergoes while enduring a hypo can be extremely detrimental to one's health. While the release of adrenalin during exercise can be highly beneficial to our health, the surge of adrenalin associated with low blood sugar has the opposite effect. It puts massive stresses on our hearts and is considered by many HCPs to contribute towards incidences of heart disease and heart attacks in the diabetic. As much as it is enjoyable to treat a hypo by scoffing down all those things that us diabetics are told to avoid on a day-to-day basis, it's far safer in both the short-term and the long-term to control your blood-glucose levels and to avoid highs or lows. Personally, I like to fill my mouth with a whole bag of Skittles and half-a-dozen Starburst all at the same time!!! :lol: But I'd much sooner not have the nasty stresses that come with hypos. Good luck . . . :thumbup:

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
I find that honey (rather than jam) hits the spot and sorts out the hypo PDQ. If it's a deep one, a banana + honey is good, plus, perhaps a small(ish) bowl of icecream.

We put up with the needles, blood tests, tablets and hypos, shouldn't there be some benefit?

Robert WT

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
Red Bull (or Aldi's own brand) is both a suffucient sweetness and a useful size (the advice is to drink half a glass of lucozade and I hate wasting the other half!)

I do use lucazode on my boat. (But there's a squeezy bottle of honey in the galley locker and usually have a couple of bananas available). Ice cream isn't practical for obvious reasons!

So we have a choice. I like honey because of the speed with which it gets into my blood stream and I LIKE THE TASTE! which is good enough reason. :wink:

Robert wt

A

Anonymous

i hate honey ,my mum used to use that all the time to bring me round when i was young in the 70`s

lucozade is used 4 my hypo`s :p