1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HYPO?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Dodger, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Dodger

Dodger · Active Member

Hi All, Due to reasons beyond my control, I missed lunch yesterday and mid afternoon was feeling unwell, (shakes,sweats,feeling weak and faint) and was wondering if I was experiencing a hypo coming on.
    Now at my DESMOND course they say that as I'm only on Metformin, I can't experience a hypo.
    when I got home I tested and my BG was 4.8 so it should be that I was not experiencing a hypo, after having food and meds about a hour and half I was feeling better.
    What I'm asking is it possible to experience the beginnings of a hypo at 4.8 and also is it impossible to have a hypo when only on Metformin as this was a most unpleasant time, I know it was mainly my fault and will endeavour to keep a supply of nutri bars or similar with me at all times for emergencies (when missing meals) and I will keep a spare meter in the car as well.

Your comments and experiences will be gratefully received. :oops:

2. Nellie

Nellie · Well-Known Member

3. Dodger

Dodger · Active Member

Hi Nellie, thanks for that, that link really explains well, although with my pure autonomic failure, my fight and flight response doesn't work, my heartbeat stays at 60 bpm no matter what i do, my piturity gland, thyroid, adrenal and other functions do not respond as they should.
    I was just concerned as I got these feelings and being unwell. but the site you linked explains very well and I think this should be more widely distributed to Type 2's.
    Thanks.

4. sofaraway

sofaraway · Well-Known Member

also to remember that people with out diabetes expereince low blood sugars when tney haven't eatne for a long time, or skipped meals. my other half has tested as low as 3.4 when not eaten for ages and felt quite unwell. the difference is, not being on insulin or meds that cause extra insulin production the blood sugar isn't going to keep dropping to dangerous levels

5. The Governor

The Governor · Well-Known Member

I hit 3.7 yesterday. I'd eaten lunhc as normal but was knackered. Other than that I didn't feel too bad, but clearly can't go 6 hours without eating!

Type 2's don't have hypos? Pffft :D

6. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I can sometimes go down to 3.5 without feeling ill, because I often run quite low. On other occasions, I have felt "wobbly at 4.5. I read somewhere that it's the dropping you feel rather than the actual level. My friend with reactive hypoglycaemia has been known to drop to 2.9 without ANY medication.

7. The Governor

The Governor · Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: I dunno mate, had my usual 20 ish (just below) carbs, but normally I get to eat around 5 to 5:30. I think I may need to make sure I eat every 2 and a half hours, just trial and error.

8. gefmayhem

gefmayhem · Well-Known Member

Hi
    I get sweats shakes etc when my blood sugar drops very quickly - normally after a night out.
    About 10/11 the next day it drops like a stone.
    I find the rapid change makes me feel a lot worse than the low level

cheers

9. coco

coco · Newbie

Hi, I was on metformin for 18 months before I went onto insulin and in that time i had three hypos whilst on the metformin.I went as low as 3.1.The diabetic nurse said you can go low on metformin especially if you lose a lot of weight .

10. Amanda Hugankiss

Amanda Hugankiss · Well-Known Member

I agree, I feel the dropping and the rising, not the actual 'low'.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook