Hypoglycemia!!

ziawattoo54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's about last week, It was a hectic long day and my head and eyes were aching as I reached home in the evening. I had eaten 4 scoops of oreo ice cream and a cold drink about three hours before it all happened. Keeping that in mind I miss calculated my headache and eyes' pain with high blood sugar, So I took 2 units extra from my prescribed "Humalog" dosage in the evening. And then suddenly I felt to sleep (within 10-15 mins of injecting), my meal was right in front of me, But I couldn't have it due to that dizziness. And after that I woke up on the hospital bed with a cannula on my wrist. Thank God! My brother came to see me in my room and noticed my situation, He rushed me to the hospital. And he told, that my jaw was locked, so he couldn't put sugar/glucose in my mouth. And the first sugar level report in the hospital was "21" during Glucagon being injected. It was all so sudden, that I couldn't do anything for me.. and it started with my wrong judgment about my sugar level.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's about last week, It was a hectic long day and my head and eyes were aching as I reached home in the evening. I had eaten 4 scoops of oreo ice cream and a cold drink about three hours before it all happened. Keeping that in mind I miss calculated my headache and eyes' pain with high blood sugar, So I took 2 units extra from my prescribed "Humalog" dosage in the evening. And then suddenly I felt to sleep (within 10-15 mins of injecting), my meal was right in front of me, But I couldn't have it due to that dizziness. And after that I woke up on the hospital bed with a cannula on my wrist. Thank God! My brother came to see me in my room and noticed my situation, He rushed me to the hospital. And he told, that my jaw was locked, so he couldn't put sugar/glucose in my mouth. And the first sugar level report in the hospital was "21" during Glucagon being injected. It was all so sudden, that I couldn't do anything for me.. and it started with my wrong judgment about my sugar level.
Ufgh, that was a nasty experience!
Been real down myself a couple of times though never been in coma or brought to hospital.
Don't know why, but I have even bee below 1 mmol/L a couple of bad times and still managed staying conscious and battling it through with some fast acting liquid sugars like Isostar and Gatorade.

But now back to your specific situation. Long day, stress, tired, skipping/delaying meals, etc. All brings along increased risks of ignoring/skipping signs of a coming hypo. Good actually that your brother didn't poor down some liquids/sugars into your mouth, as it sounds you might even have been in state of hypo induced coma? If you cant eat/drink yourself, don't have anybody putting anything into your mouth. Risk of suffocation is real!
If you are otherwise a healthy normally well regulated diabetic, then even a rather bad hypo will typically go over by itself when your body starts to counter react with endorphins and liver glucose dump. That said, never anything to play around with! And you will always feel very miserable both during and after.

As you are on fast acting insulin, then it should be obligatory to have one of these babies always in your house:
py02vzlmqzdnriablgfn.jpg

It is an emergency glucagon kit, (a hypokit) which is really super easy to use. Also for your family members, girlfriend etc, just in case you need it.
It takes literally less than 1 minute to get it in. Remove the two caps, push the needle into the vial, down the plunger, shake it around a few seconds to dissolve the glucagon, then pull back into the syringe. Find a decent area of skin, inject and you are done. Have one of these laying in your fridge just in case and doesn't cost much.

ziawattoo54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been real down myself a couple of times though never been in coma or brought to hospital.
Don't know why, but I have even bee below 1 mmol/L a couple of bad times and still managed staying conscious and battling it through with some fast acting liquid sugars like Isostar and Gatorade.

But now back to your specific situation. Long day, stress, tired, skipping/delaying meals, etc. All brings along increased risks of ignoring/skipping signs of a coming hypo. Good actually that your brother didn't poor down some liquids/sugars into your mouth, as it sounds you might even have been in state of hypo induced coma? If you cant eat/drink yourself, don't have anybody putting anything into your mouth. Risk of suffocation is real!
If you are otherwise a healthy normally well regulated diabetic, then even a rather bad hypo will typically go over by itself when your body starts to counter react with endorphins and liver glucose dump. That said, never anything to play around with! And you will always feel very miserable both during and after.

As you are on fast acting insulin, then it should be obligatory to have one of these babies always in your house:
py02vzlmqzdnriablgfn.jpg

It is an emergency glucagon kit, (a hypokit) which is really super easy to use. Also for your family members, girlfriend etc, just in case you need it.
It takes literally less than 1 minute to get it in. Remove the two caps, push the needle into the vial, down the plunger, shake it around a few seconds to dissolve the glucagon, then pull back into the syringe. Find a decent area of skin, inject and you are done. Have one of these laying in your fridge just in case and doesn't cost much.
Aaah!! Thank you for your detailed advice, I'll get this Glucagon Injection ASAP.
And about pouring glucose in my mouth when I was unconscious, the doctors examined my respiration canal and lungs for particles of sugar, and luckily there was nothing.
It's been 18 years with diabetes and I've been taking care of my sugar levels and medics for last three years on my own. But still things like these scare me sometimes.
Maybe I'm a little bit careless, too!!
Again, Thank you for the suggestion.

Ethanw57

py02vzlmqzdnriablgfn.jpg

I'm told rubbing honey onto the gums of a semi concious hypoglycaemic patient is a good treatment but too right about shoving something down the throat. A diabetic coma treated in the hospital is a far better outcome than choking on lollies while unconscious

davidopong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Really scary! We thank God for your life

Bassiette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
candy etc
That's happened to me too my doctor said i got a repeated hypoglycemia my body stop making sings of hypoglycemia like high heart rate and sweating etc. It was from wrong prescription of using actrapid while my doctor said my body only suitable with novorapid,apidra humalog only
I wanna to ask in this day did u make any unsual physical activity i wanna to know details of this day and the day before
Wish u speedy recovery

Reactions: ziawattoo54

ziawattoo54

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's happened to me too my doctor said i got a repeated hypoglycemia my body stop making sings of hypoglycemia like high heart rate and sweating etc. It was from wrong prescription of using actrapid while my doctor said my body only suitable with novorapid,apidra humalog only
I wanna to ask in this day did u make any unsual physical activity i wanna to know details of this day and the day before
Wish u speedy recovery
I'm fine now, thank you.
And about the physical activity, yeah I was walking the whole day, as I was participating in an event, the day it happened. It was all due to that, and moreover I took 2 extra units of humalog just before the scene.
The walk lowered my sugar level and extra dose of insulin did the rest.