Hypoglycemia

daisy3174

Hi Douglas,thanks, do you remember what your GTT Results were? Dont know if my "Home" readings would be in Type 2 Range.I have the worst mood swings ever and my temper is terrible and my memory horrendous ( did not used to be like this) I will go from being in a fine mood to snapping in a second.In reply to Grazer the 13.8 reading I had was after eating a Jacket potato with beans (no butter), I am not sure how much Lucozade a hospital gives for GTT either, so I chose the small one.Another annoying symptom is getting up 3+ times to pee, which is a viscious circle with sleepless nights x

RussG

A home glucose test for something like this is really not going to be reliable in providing a diagnosis. I think the best advice you are going to get is to go to your doctor and explain your symptoms. They should do all the tests necessary and will tell you whether you are diabetic or not. Your doctor will do the tests again even if you have done the same thing yourself as no GP is going to give a diagnosis or medication on tests they don't feel they can trust.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
daisy3174 said:
Hi Douglas,thanks, do you remember what your GTT Results were? Dont know if my "Home" readings would be in Type 2 Range.I have the worst mood swings ever and my temper is terrible and my memory horrendous ( did not used to be like this) I will go from being in a fine mood to snapping in a second.In reply to Grazer the 13.8 reading I had was after eating a Jacket potato with beans (no butter), I am not sure how much Lucozade a hospital gives for GTT either, so I chose the small one.Another annoying symptom is getting up 3+ times to pee, which is a viscious circle with sleepless nights x

I didn't have any other tests, I just went with all the symptoms you have, including the memory loss, mood swings, (as you say, fine to snapping) lack of sleep, peeing, drinking water in the night.
After a lot of blood tests, where initially my fasting level was ok, I was referred for the memory loss, had sleep studies, possible ME, than my last fasting test was found to be 14.4.

I was put on metformin, simvastatin, and I changed my diet.

A few weeks later and I have to say, I'm no longer permanently tired, I sleep through the night, my temper is fine, my memory is back.

Downside is I can remember what potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, sugar, chocolate, sweets, croissants, cakes and sage and onion stuffing tasted like.

daisy3174

Thanks Douglas, I have just made an appointment for next Thursday, will let you all know how it goes,thanks to all for everything x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Daisy3174.
Diabetes either be type1 or type2 IS so complex its unfathomable sometimes ! Honestly... :D
Try not to get fixated on your own or others readings or the figures of it all and try and self diagnose.
The best person and place for you now, is for you to see your GP ...
Take your sister along with you for moral support and pop any questions you would like to ask on a list and take these along.
The GP is there to help you and am sure will answer your questions too.
We all feel rough, tetchy, tired, till get diagnosed and placed on the correct treatment/therapy plans for us as individuals.
Once on the right plan and treatment we all gradually DO improve.
Much happier and find our own ways/style to establish the right routine to self manage our living with diabetes successfully.
Please go and vist your GP, he/she is the best person for you right now.
Do let us know how you go on also.
Anna.x :D

daisy3174

Thanks Anna, yes you are right, I honestly hope they find out what is wrong, you get to the point that you cant remember what you used to feel like and get frustrated with yourself for feeling like this x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They're certainly going to need a fasting blood test, so don't eat or drink anything before you go, not even the morning cup of coffee.

daisy3174

Ok thanks, I have noticed wth my fasting BG, its always higher if I have had a terrible nights sleep. Also something I forgot to mention, on my last child I had high glucose in my water, all way through my pregnancy, they finally got around to the GTT, then decided because I was too many weeks go they would not do it??? They never tested after the I had my son.My father was also diagnosed with Late Onset Type 1 Diabetes at 60 years of age, my guess is he had had it for a while as he had been ill for some time (he has always trained, ran and been thin and fit, the same as me).I am so glad I found this Forum, my other half and children just think I am going bonkers lol x

Snodger

whether it's currently diagnosable as 'diabetes' or not, it sounds to me as if your pancreas is not releasing appropriate amounts of insulin at appropriate times. Sounds a bit as if it's sluggish to get going, then goes over the top and overcompensates. I suspect mine did something similar before I was diagnosed - I used to get hypos too. I didn't do blood tests till after diagnosis, though, so I can't say for sure.

how did it go at the doc's, have you been yet?

daisy3174

Hi, think you may be right, in the Docs next Thursday, so hope they can shed some light on all of this, would love to feel like I used to.Should I take my meter with me?It has readings from 3.3mmol to 13.8mmol on it, all correctly taken, hands washed etc x

Grazer

Don't need the meter. I'm sure he'll believe you. But write all your key readings down. If you think he'll doubt you, stick it in your handbag but don't produce it unless you need to

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Mine wouldn't have wanted to see it.
Went off the symptoms and the blood tests they did, and put me on diet and tablets.
I agree with writing everything down , I needed to as I wouldn't have remembered half of what I wanted to say.
It took less than 4 weeks to notice an amazing difference.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi,
Have to add here 'if' your memory is forgetful? [mines terrible!]
It is best to have things written down, the HCP like to look at things in written form [mine do!]
Also if you get an diagnosis - you can get from the clinics a 'record book' to record your BG readings and levels in daily [these are great to look at the wider picture, of readings and helps to see any patterns formed] the meter company reps vist the clinics and usually leave record books for patients to use and log their daily BG levels and readings taken with the meters.
The tiredness with diabetes can easily affect the brains memory storage.
Anna.x :D

daisy3174

Hi all, just want to say thanks for your support you have all been so helpful, no one else understands, its not happening to them.I have been accused of being miserable and moody, but its not the case I have felt genuinely all over the place, I even get frustrated with myself.Yes I will write things down, I had a bad memory before this but not as bad, I spend half of my day looking for my car keys, purse etc.I usually make a mental list of things to say to the doctor before I go, half of the time I will cancel my appontment but when I do go I just tell them the most severe symptom as I just want to get out of there lol. Bet the doc will tell me I have depression or something x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Make a list. take it with you.
Don't try to rush it, I had all your symptoms, initially it was put down to lack of sleep, as I didn't sleep well. I was referred for that, did the altzheimers tests, they suggested a diet, that didn't work, (mainly low fat, but not so low carb).
Then looked at ME, and depression, I was even referred for ME, but then my last blood test came back at 15 fasting before I went, so I was put on metformin.
It was like a switch had been flicked to be honest.

I know what you mean about the "miserable and moody", and getting frustrated as well. But if it's dabetes, it's not you, it's a symptom, and the "old" you will soon be back, and it's nice to find the car keys where you left them again.

Grazer

douglas99 said:
and it's nice to find the car keys where you left them again.

I used to have a gadget on the key fob. You blew a special whistle and the gadget sounded an alarm so you could find the keys. I forgot where I put the whistle.

Reactions: SarahTee

daisy3174

Hi douglas, you have described it in one, feels just like a part of me has been switched off, the nice part! Grazer, that is so funny! The ammount of times I have got to the checkout and realised I forgot my purse, then got home and realised I left my card in the shop lol x

daisy3174

Also, another question, I only test my BG lately if I feel really rough.Over the past three days I have started to feel very shaky, shivering, dizzy, each time I have tested the results were 4.2, 4.5 & 4.7. Why on earth would I be feeling like this at these levels which are technically normal.Each time I have had a little something to drink and after about 20 mins I feel fine again, it has me baffled, think the doc will think I am mad if I tell him this, does anyone else experience this?x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's been mentioned before, on here and in other forums.

I don't know if it has been explained in full, but it's down to lack of insulin control, exercise before and after, diet, whether you're producing insulin, whether you're insulin resistant, but mainly the fact no one appears to react in the same way.

Tell the doctor, but don't worry about it.
Once you start being treated, for whatever the doctor diagnoses, you should become much more stable.
I didn't get there first time, it was more trial and error to start with, so be persistant, and you'll be ok.

daisy3174

Ok thanks, had a very bad hypo today, worst yet, my legs went from under me and down like a ton of bricks (didnt black out though) called my daughter to get me Lucozade, then measured sugar, was 2.7mmol, the lowest I have been.It happened extremely suddenly, just after I had been hoovering, I cant wait to see doc now, I really dont want another, real scary x