Hypos and migraines

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Hi.

I've had a rough few days with the warm weather. On Sunday I collapsed in marks and Spencer's, as I didn't even feel my sugars plummet. They were fine when I left the house. All Sunday evening I had a huge migraine. This morning I woke up with such a severe headache I though I would be sick. My husband tested my sugars (I could hardly move) and they read 1.4. So he made me eat (do you know how horrible it is to eat when you feel sick?) and after my sugars started to come back up, the headache started to go. It's still there, but feels more just like a mild ache, like you get when you've been reading all day or staring at the computer screen.

Just wondered if there was a link? Has anyone else noticed migraines or severe headaches with hypos?

Also, on a second note, I'm quite concerned that I'm not noticing the signs of a sugar low before. And as said in a different post, I am being limited on the number of test strips my doctor is giving me, so I can't just test every hour in this heat.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Re: Hypos and migraines

I'd imagine we would all have a bad headache after recovering from hypo's that low amberzak!

With regards to losing your hypo awareness, the advice is to run bg higher than normal for several weeks to restore your awareness and this I believe usually works, your gp should not be restricting the amount of test strips you receive and a letter was sent out only months ago to all gp practises saying as such from the Dept of Health, if your under the care of a diabetes consultant then ask them to write to your gp and ask that your prescription for test strips is adequate to meet your everyday needs.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

noblehead said:
I'd imagine we would all have a bad headache after recovering from hypo's that low amberzak!

With regards to losing your hypo awareness, the advice is to run bg higher than normal for several weeks to restore your awareness and this I believe usually works, your gp should not be restricting the amount of test strips you receive and a letter was sent out only months ago to all gp practises saying as such from the Dept of Health, if your under the care of a diabetes consultant then ask them to write to your gp and ask that your prescription for test strips is adequate to meet your everyday needs.

Thanks Noblehead. I'm seeing a new nurse for the first time next week, so I will ask her about more strips.

Mel24

Yes If I have a sever hypo I will every time have a migraine I hate it as it takes me days to recover from not just the hypo but the migraine. I have been told by my dsn that this can be normal

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

amberzak said:
I'm seeing a new nurse for the first time next week, so I will ask her about more strips.

Print the Dept of Health letter off and take it with you, might just jog their memory :wink:

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Mel24 said:
Yes If I have a sever hypo I will every time have a migraine I hate it as it takes me days to recover from not just the hypo but the migraine. I have been told by my dsn that this can be normal

It may sound weird, but I only just made the connection.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.

amberzak said:
Just wondered if there was a link? Has anyone else noticed migraines or severe headaches with hypos?

I'm researching into the effects of hypos and hypers on the brain and yes I too get the headaches with hypos. The brain relies on glucose and is much much more sensitive to even small drops in glucose. One thing I do post hypo headaches or even during them is to up my sugars asap, take some omega-3s and go for a short sleep. Sleep helps the brain repair the damage and refuel it's glycogen stores fully.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you treat the hypo promptly, it's only when you reach the less than 1 readings that the damage can be permanent. With hypers it's a different matter altogether.

Hope that helps,
Frankie