Hypos before diabetes?

Hey,

So i'm a newly diagnosed diabetic waiting to find out whether it is type 1 or 2. I'm 30 years old with a bmi of 20 (i've always been a similar weight). On diagnosis, my fasting glucose was 17mmol and my hba1c is 95. I've started on insulin this week.

I have been trying to do some research about the condition and it has caused me to reflect on past experiences.

For the past 10 years or so I have fairly regularly experienced hypos. These would generally happen sometime before a regular meal time. Although i'm a newly diagnosed diabetic, I feel like i already know how to cope with hypos. I'm very aware of the symptoms and i generally always carry around a snack with me incase my blood sugar drops. I also know that now i'm taking insulin, my hypos can be more severe.

Now what is confusing is that I have had regular blood tests every 2 years and they have always returned regular results. My basic understanding of diabetes is that regardless of whether it is type 1 or 2, an undiagnosed diabetic will have hypers and not hypos. Are there certain conditions that cause undiagnosed diabetics to have hypos? I've read about reactive hypoglycemia and how some prediabetics have trouble with their pancreas producing the incorrect amount of insulin. Does this mean that it could produce too much (and therefore cause the hypos? Lastly. it seems like there are also some enzyme deficiencies that can cause hypos so i suppose that is a possibility.

I hope this post is easy to follow and I would be grateful for any insights.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you previously tested your blood sugars and confirmed you have experienced a hypo?
Prior to my diagnosis, I would get ratty and shaky if I hadn't eaten for a long time but I still do not consider them to be hypos.

My view is that what has happened in the past is history and cannot be changed. I want to focus on what I can do in the future with the confirmed knowledge I now have.

Have you previously tested your blood sugars and confirmed you have experienced a hypo?
Prior to my diagnosis, I would get ratty and shaky if I hadn't eaten for a long time but I still do not consider them to be hypos.

My view is that what has happened in the past is history and cannot be changed. I want to focus on what I can do in the future with the confirmed knowledge I now have.

Yeah I used a finger prick glucose reader a few years ago and the readings went to 3.1. Had cold sweats, very shaky etc.

I agree that is is best not to dwell on the past too much. But equally i am very curious as to why I would have had these hypos.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Many Many people including children have lower than normal blood glucose levels and are not hypoglycaemic.
It may be the odd occasion or because of illness, stress or such. It may be due to an intolerance or meds.
It could be a pancreatic condition or a hormonal response, or your metabolism, or even your gut bacterium.
So, the actual cause can be elusive. And people have sugar crashes at certain times and again not be hypoglycaemic.
There are many forms of types of hypoglycaemia, not just reactive hypoglycaemia and it takes a series of diagnostic tests to get a true diagnosis.
I don't suffer hypos because I don't eat what triggers my hypoglycaemia.

Insulin is important to your body, because of the interaction with the carbs the majority of people need to get energy.
Glucose is important for the likes of brain function and consistent energy levels and in most people, the liver will provide the extra glucose needed it your energy levels drop or your blood sugar levels drop.
When there is too much insulin produced, the side effects of a typical hyper will happen and continuous high levels of glucose (hyperglycaemia) or insulin (hyperinsulinimia) will effect the hormonal imbalance after food. The build up of higher levels of insulin and it's lack of effectiveness over time, will result in insulin resistance and high circulating insulin levels. The symptoms exacerbate and the hormonal response imbalance will increase.

The first phase insulin response has a huge bearing on spikes, meds and treatment, the variation in how low carb diet works depends on your intolerance to certain carbs and the make up of your meals. Dietary balance tailored to your individual requirements are essential to treatment.

The difference between the majority of T2 diabetes and hypoglycaemic conditions is how much insulin is produced to cope with dietary intake.

As with most conditions that fall under the endocrine umbrella, it is not black and white or straightforward.
Causes are very many, and the treatments are varied and diverse. There is never one answer, just a logical step in getting back control of your health.