Hypos in first trimester

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I'm nearly 11 weeks pregnant, had an early scan at 8 weeks and all good. My blood sugars went up as soon as the pregnancy started and so I adjusted my pump and was getting great readings for a couple of weeks with no hypos. I use a libre.

The past few days I have been hypo central(3-4 per day, staggered throughout the day and night), with no change to pump settings or diet and I can't remember from my first pregnancy whether hypos are "normal" or not, as I thought pregnancy makes you insulin resistant(I hypoed a lot in first pregnancy but was on injections, so I think I over compensated to try and get my hba1c down). So basically, I'm worried that perhaps the pregnancy is no more and the hormones are no longer affecting the insulin.

I was having terrible symptoms, nausea, tiredness, foul moods and these stopped at the same time the hypos started.

I didn't have any pregnancy symptoms first time round, so it's all new territory for me.

There is no bleeding, I would call the diabetic midwife but its evening and so thought someone here might have a clue for me.

I'll change my pump settings to try to stop the hypos, I just really hope the pregnancy hasn't failed.....

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't help with the pump I am afraid. You could phone the midwife, that what she is for.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't help with the pump I am afraid. You could phone the midwife, that what she is for.

At 11 weeks it's unlikely she wont have a Midwife yet and if she does, she wont know squat about diabetes and a pump!

OP, call the people that help you manage your diabetes. Have you got a booking appointment yet?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At 11 weeks it's unlikely she wont have a Midwife yet and if she does, she wont know squat about diabetes and a pump!

OP, call the people that help you manage your diabetes. Have you got a booking appointment yet?
OP says she has a diabetic midwife.

Ica291

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Her trust has moved with the times it seems, I do hope so.
I do have a diabetic midwife(who is type 1 herself with 4 children so very experienced), pump consultant and a diabetic obstetrician that manage my pregnancy care from 6 weeks to birth. I don't bother with a general midwife, as you say, they know diddly squat.

I probably wasn't clear enough in what I was worrying about, it wasn't my pump, it was whether a sudden splurge of hypos was normal in early pregnancy or was a sign of miscarriage. Because I was on injections for first pregnancy I wasn't sure if my hypos were from injecting as hypos are much rarer with a pump.

It would seem that hypos are very normal in early pregnancy, if anyone else was interested. It is in the second and third trimester when the need for additional insulin really kicks in. Not sure why I became insulin resistant in the first few weeks, but sometimes diabetes has no rhyme or reason that we can see.....